Molt soon?

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
My first spider so I don't know but read a bald abdomen can be a sign of impending molt? And no, that's not his home 😂 I'm just drying his substrate 😂

Attachments

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
No molt in sight. It's still a very light colour. Impending molts announce themselves by darkening of the abdomen.

Also, that is one well-fed spider, to say the least.

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
Haha yes, only had him a month, guess I don't need to be so nervous about him refusing food sometimes 😅

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
I think it's cute he's chubby but maybe not the best for him so trying to slim him down a little without starving.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
A bald abdomen is simply a sign that the tarantula has been kicking hairs a fair bit. It does make it easier however to see if the abdomen is darkening, which is a sign of an impending moult. The size of your T's abdomen suggests this might not be too far off, but in any case you rarely need to worry about it refusing food. It won't starve itself.

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
Hello, thanks for helping me out. Should I limit food a bit or give food as I've been? Thinking should I try to slim him?

TheHound

Arachnoknight
You can't really slim him, but I would reduce feeding frequency, but still maybe offer occasionally, though if it keeps refusing you can probably stop. Also make sure to remove uneaten food within 24 hours, as if your T does moult it can be vulnerable to attack from prey. If you're feeding prey that can burrow, crush the head to prevent them getting lost down in the sub and then surfacing later (possibly when the T is moulting).

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
Like I wrote I am fixing his substrate. So sorry definitely not his enclosure but thanks for caring about tarantulas ❤

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
I specially wrote in my first post that it's not his enclosure 😂😂😂😂 but yet people tries. Well sorry, not his home. You would have to be pretty satanic to keep a spider in a plastic box yeah...

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
You can't really slim him, but I would reduce feeding frequency, but still maybe offer occasionally, though if it keeps refusing you can probably stop. Also make sure to remove uneaten food within 24 hours, as if your T does moult it can be vulnerable to attack from prey. If you're feeding prey that can burrow, crush the head to prevent them getting lost down in the sub and then surfacing later (possibly when the T is moulting).
Thank you so much for your help

Freyjios

Arachnopeon
Must be an European thing to ask questions as you would expect from children 🤣😂 I spare myself and put on block or ignore. Really don't have the patience for dumb questions

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
*sigh*

Would an American please take over and ask why that animal needed to be taken out of its enclosure after a month - or why the substrate needed drying?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
here @KaroKoenig American here

so what exactly was wrong with the substrate? How long has it been in the plastic bin without any substrate?

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
*sigh*

Would an American please take over and ask why that animal needed to be taken out of its enclosure after a month - or why the substrate needed drying?
No prob. WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU FIXING THE SUBSTRATEEEEEE. That’s American style.