Molt Sexing Poecilotheria Slings Using a Microscope

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I have the toughest time molt sexing Poecilotheria slings using a microscope. I have a P. vittata sling that's about 1.5-1.75DLS (size at molt was about 1-1.25in) and I was able to pull an old molt out of its enclosure for sexing. I have a (somewhat crappy) dissecting scope that I use for sexing slings and small juveniles. I'm usually able to tell right away for other species if the sling is male or female. But I really struggle with Poecilotheria. For a while I even thought my P. regalis female was a male because I just couldn't seem to spot any spermathecae for the longest time. Do their spermathecae develop later? I have a few Poecilotheria slings right now and can't seem to find anything resembling spermathecae. Unfortunately I can't find any decent images online to give me some hints either. Are they more challenging to molt sex than other species when they're very small?

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Which species does this not work for?
Damn, you'd have to find Advan's response to my post on this- I know lot's of searching It was made witihin the past year though. He only recently commented on this. I believe it is P ornata, but I dont recall 100%, only because it's a species I don't intend on keeping.

Or maybe he'll respond to a PM, not sure how busy he is lately. He's a nice guy.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Damn, you'd have to find Advan's response to my post on this- I know lot's of searching It was made witihin the past year though. He only recently commented on this. I believe it is P ornata, but I dont recall 100%, only because it's a species I don't intend on keeping.

Or maybe he'll respond to a PM, not sure how busy he is lately. He's a nice guy.
Right on, I know one of the species also has dimorphism. I think maybe ornata? I’ll look for that post tho

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
let us know what you find on both please!
These three threads go over it all. The one that can’t be identified with the dot is Poecilotheria formosa.

Ornata is the one with sexual dimorphism as illustrated by @advan. But @Liquifin raises the question of whether Poecilotheria vittata has dimorphism before maturing as well, with some good pictures