Molt Questions....help!

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
assumed

Didn't mean to assume that your T was dead, seeing your last post. I think at this point, you should refer back to Talkenlate's post re: how to remove what's left. Sounds like there's little to lose by trying. She's going to harden up soon and be totally unsave-able if you do nothing, IMO.

bradk

Arachnopeon
The substrate is a granular substance. The humidity is always between 75 - 85%. I lost my Bird Eating Goliath because of low humidity, hence I probably over compensated by misting the T all these years. This was a full grown T, probably 6 inches across. I saw him in the local pet store for at least a year before i bought him.

Not sure on the liquid, I dont see any obvious signs of damage. On my last T's bad molt a couple legs broke off and hence it bled to death, I am sure. This one I am not sure. The liquid is colorless and thin...

bradk

Arachnopeon
I get what you are saying but she popped her top yesterday and there has been zero progress since then. He should try and aid by softening up the molt or thats just the end of it. It might be the end ither way.

Your going to want to drip that warm soultion at the base of where the legs are coming out, in the area circled and on both sides. Then because you dont really have anything to hold and pull you might just have to see if she can get any farther out on her own, and if not, freeze her.

Hey, I am trying this last ditch effort. I appreciate the tips. I have placed a very small warm wet piece of paper tow at the base of the leg. I really think she may still be alive. When the water touched her abdomen, it moved in reaction to the water or warmth.

Would it be of no good to use an exacto knife on the area as well (assuming i can be careful)?

bradk

Arachnopeon
Sounds like hemolymph to me.

What kind of " grandular substance " is the T on ? It may have ruptured itself on a sharp edge ?
What is hemolymph? Is that a deal killer loosing that much liquid?

The substrate is definitely not sharp. don't remember the name but it had a picture of a spider with other animals on the bag so I know it was ok stuff.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Right now just do what talkenlate04 said. It sounds like there is still hope. Good luck !!!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What is hemolymph?
Tarantula blood, I believe.

The substrate is definitely not sharp. don't remember the name but it had a picture of a spider with other animals on the bag so I know it was ok stuff.
No. Bad. Bad. :wall: Never trust advertising; hot rocks and calci-sand are also marketed as wonderful healthy things, but any vet you talk to will tell you how many pets they kill. Pine and cedar shavings are labelled with pictures of ferrets and rats and other small animals, but they're TOXIC to those small animals. Google is your friend, and people in pet shops tend to either be ignorant or just want to sell product.

I don't have any idea what your substrate really is, whether it's in actuality good or bad, but please, please, never trust something marketed for animals just because the package says it's good. :(

bradk

Arachnopeon
Alive!!

OMG!!!! She is alive!

I know some of your guys are going to think I am killing her but she had not moved or maid any progress in molt in almost 33 hours. So I decided she was most likely dead and was doing surgery cutting off the old exo.

I first freed around the legs to see if any movement. Nothing. Then thinking she was totally dead, I turned her over and cut from abdomen to head. The exo opened and she started moving immediately! I turned her right side up and put her back into your cage immediately. She has since stopped moving again.

Her front fangs still are caught but legs are free but they are still in the old exo. Any suggestions????

Brad

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Try a moist Q-tip with soap and water on the fangs. I may help loosen the old exo

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow I am impressed. I thought that thing was toast.
Ok well the same method with the warm soultion is going to have to be applied ( more then once ) to the fang area trying to avoid the actual mouth entry. So drip drop repeatedly into the fang area where the old skin meets the new.

If your hand is steady enough you can try to nick away some at the old skin at the top of each leg, I personally would just gently take each leg one by one and repeat the warm water soultion. They goal is to hopefully get enough in there that the new leg will slip out, then repeat for every other leg.

Also, it looks like there is a small amount of the new leg out of the skin, so an option is to get tweezers and pinch just the tips of the feet and gently pulling to see if the old leg skin will slide off.... after warm soap water is applied.

bradk

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I went for broke but I don't think I am out of the woods yet. It's got to get all the way free. I have been moistening it regularly but it doesnt seem to be making progress on it's own. It also has not moved since i put it back in the cage.

The only way to really make progress on removal of the old exo is to turn it over and cut from the bottom due to the legs being all folded up.

Do I dare take her out again and turn her over on the desk and keep cutting? It was actually when i was trying to try the fangs she came to life.

How long does a molt usually take? No progress for 30+ hours cant be a good sign? The last one went start to finish (10-12 hours) with this T last time.

Brad

bradk

Arachnopeon
I don't think it's gonna make it. freed it as best of could. All legs are free and front claws (forget what they are called). I cut around the fangs as best i could without cutting anything important (See pics). I think it bled out and is still alive too weak to finish the job. So even if I removed everybit of molt I get the idea it is too weak now to survive. It moves occasionally but i think it is futile. Here are some of the final pics of it...

Attachments

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well you did try and thats all you could have done. If in the morning she is still twitching like that i'd pop her in the freezer.

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brad, says you're in Florida, I'm guessing that low humidity isn't really too much of a problem there?? I keep my Chaco (& other Grammostolas/Brachy's) very dry, but with water dishes always full. Dry substrate as well (coco or peat). Could this be an issue of too much humidity? I can't imagine what consequences too much humidity would cause in a molt situation, anyone have any ideas? What kind of substrate do you use? Any chance one of the crix killed her? You said there seemed to be a lot of fluid present; did any of it look like hemolymph, or can you see any injuries? Dunno, I'm kind of grasping at straws here, but maybe someone with more experience will have some thoughts about how to prevent in the future? Sorry you lost a big, cool T like that. Tony
I don't think Florida is the problem, I have 30 with only one loss due to a bad molt.:?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aw man, this sucks. It doesn't seem like it was your fault, but you should certainly read up on Ts as much as you can before getting next one just in case.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Quick death. If it becomes obvious that you cant save her and she is not going to make it why let her sit there and twitch half alive?
Some people freeze some people let them die. I vote freeze.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tks, but why the freezer? What if the benefit for this?
It allows the T to pass away quickly by freezing. Also, once your T is dead the freezing will delay the rotting/decaying which causes a fowl smell. You can keep it frozen until your next garbage day so you won't have a fowl smell in your house.