Molt question! Is she okay?

swampsounds

Arachnopeon
Hello,

It’s me again! My Brachypelma Hamorii (BBQ Sauce) molted while I was gone for the weekend but a little piece of his skeleton was left on his abdomen instead of coming off with the rest of the molt.

Is this okay? Should I pull it off?

I’m thinking she’s okay since it’s just on her abdomen and I’m afraid of pulling of the stuck molt and rupturing her new soft body.

I’m planning on rehousing her soon and I’m investing in better water dishes. Should I wait to move her?

Thanks, Maura

Attachments

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Can you tell if the molt is off of her spinnerettes and anus? If that area is clear, you have nothing to worry about. If it seems to be obstructed then I would suggest dampening the area with a cotton bud or soft paint brush, letting the warm water sit for a few minutes, and then grasping the molt with a pair of tweezers and seeing if the tarantula will move away and free itself. Don't force anything, and if you doubt your ability to intervene there's nothing wrong with letting nature take it's course for better or worse.

rock

Arachnoknight
That might be a problem. Definitely check if it’s covering the anus. You might also check the exuvia to see if it shed the esophagus and everything ok

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you tell if the molt is off of her spinnerettes and anus? If that area is clear, you have nothing to worry about. If it seems to be obstructed then I would suggest dampening the area with a cotton bud or soft paint brush, letting the warm water sit for a few minutes, and then grasping the molt with a pair of tweezers and seeing if the tarantula will move away and free itself. Don't force anything, and if you doubt your ability to intervene there's nothing wrong with letting nature take it's course for better or worse.
Spot on- 👍🏽 keep it up

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It doesn’t look like it covers the anus or spinnerets it looks like those are free

swampsounds

Arachnopeon
Yeah it’s actually wayyy above the spinnerettes so it’s really just the top of the abdomen. Should I still attempt to remove it?

I have a feeling it was a moisture issue. Which I’m trying to stay on top of.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Yeah it’s actually wayyy above the spinnerettes so it’s really just the top of the abdomen. Should I still attempt to remove it?

I have a feeling it was a moisture issue. Which I’m trying to stay on top of.
I'd just leave it. It might come off on its own eventually.

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
I have a similar issue, but the whole molt is still attached. It is only a 3cm N.carapoensis and its moult is stuck underneath, maybe around the book lungs???. I can't really be sure. I really don't want to pull on it incase I do any damage. It has been like this for atleast 48 hours now and i am hoping it will fall off on its own. I have put some extra moisture in the substrate so I hope that may help.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I have a similar issue, but the whole molt is still attached. It is only a 3cm N.carapoensis and its moult is stuck underneath, maybe around the book lungs???. I can't really be sure. I really don't want to pull on it incase I do any damage. It has been like this for atleast 48 hours now and i am hoping it will fall off on its own. I have put some extra moisture in the substrate so I hope that may help.
Any luck?

If not, post a clear picture and someone here might be able to give you some more advice :)

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
Any luck?

If not, post a clear picture and someone here might be able to give you some more advice :)
Sorry for late reply, I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks now. I've been busy because my father has been very ill, and he's been in and out of hospital.

But Yes! My little spiderling is fine. He/she had the molt stuck for a few days and it eventually fell off. But it was literally the whole moult that was being dragged around for a few days lol! I just added a little extra moisture to the substrate (not sure whether that would have made much difference) and all is now good. The spider has had a few pieces of mealworm since it moulted and it seems to be doing fine. Thanx very much! 🙂