Molt or mystery death ?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 319749 one of my lasiodora seem to have died for no reason , other then mold. Possibly tank was over watered I just gave it more because it had been not looking so well .
Tank was not soaked just wet in the wrong spot , water dish was overflowed on accident.
For whatever reason , wish I had rehoused it didn’t notice mold until now .

3DAF9809-A588-4396-9E64-1263C2B18772.jpeg B14218F2-6F23-4CB3-827F-038662067FCC.jpeg I’ve never had a lasiodora perish so easily it never climbed could not had fallen . What could mold spores had killed it or it just died for no reason ???
So depressing , this is like the worst year ever .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 319752 I’ve never had a lasiodora perish so easily it never climbed could not had fallen . What could mold spores had killed it or it just died for no reason ???
So depresssing

Dude, how does this keep happening to you????
I don’t know I check them everyday could a toxin from outdoors be leaking in the basement ?? What is going on .
What household products could be causing mystery deaths ?
I revamped all my cages with much deeper substrate . So fall are not possible, could Home Depot’s top soil be tainted if full of mold spores ?
It was fine until extra water was added .
Should I try Lowe’s the basement might not be warm enough for water to dry outback fast .

Tragedy , No signs of injury .
Any curing process so dry out dormant mold In soil ???

Last edited by a moderator:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have had more than one tarantula enclosure with significantly more mold in them than that, and not one of my Ts has died in those conditions. I highly doubt mold had anything to do with the death. Even still, it should just be a matter of adding more ventilation and letting the substrate dry out.

I'm not trying to remind you of the negative, but how many deaths does this make it now? And in how long of a time period? Were they all kept in the same area? Any similarities in how they were kept/the way they died? Most of what you post on here is about deaths, so I'd sincerely like to find out if there's an issue with the environment or possibly your keeping (I am not accusing you).

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had many enclosures with mold and fungus spores for yesrs and never had any death. I think it died by other causes?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I dunno can Ts die from radon build up in basement? I assume yes, but it's unlikely.
Boina mold thread is basically the word of god 'round these parts so I just don't trust it's mold.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have had more than one tarantula enclosure with significantly more mold in them than that, and not one of my Ts has died in those conditions. I highly doubt mold had anything to do with the death. Even still, it should just be a matter of adding more ventilation and letting the substrate dry out.

I'm not trying to remind you of the negative, but how many deaths does this make it now? And in how long of a time period? Were they all kept in the same area? Any similarities in how they were kept/the way they died? Most of what you post on here is about deaths, so I'd sincerely like to find out if there's an issue with the environment or possibly your keeping (I am not accusing you).
Exact same as last two T deaths a tumor on underside. My Home Depot top soil is tooo coarse I have to remove it all and find something softer .

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Exact same as last two T deaths a tumor on underside. My Home Depot top soil is tooo coarse I have to remove it all and find something softer .
Mine too. I use a sifter to get the pieces out, but it is a pain. I dont have enough Ts for cocofiber to be cost prohibitive so I'm going to just use that for now.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
8A7B768C-8910-44DA-8C8E-34FBAF6C7149.jpeg 0CF00B60-0D24-469C-91A8-660B320CE8F2.jpeg 15F9FE89-F02E-43B8-AAF6-EAA0EFCD7691.jpeg
We’re do you buy cheap coco fiber ? My pet supplies plus cost a ton .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I dunno can Ts die from radon build up in basement? I assume yes, but it's unlikely.
Boina mold thread is basically the word of god 'round these parts so I just don't trust it's mold.
our garage paint is peeling in the basement can it release radon or gasses ?

Kitara

Arachnodemon
To be honest, I have no idea how much it costs. I just bought it at Petco I believe. I only have three slings and one mature male so I think I have maybe bought two bags.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Look, when you're sleeping and not watching the tarantula, you can't seriously say you know 'for certain' that it didn't fall. It could have taken a tumble when you weren't watching it. Especially with how fast it died, a severe internal bleed will kill them pretty quick. They should ideally have about 8 inches of substate to dig in, being a very heavy bodied terrestrial. It doesn't take much of a fall, even from as short as four or five inches from the substrate can inflict real damage to their abdomens.

But didn't you also say that your family that lives with you hates the spiders and has threatened to kill them or something in the past? I swear I saw a post from you talking about it a few months back. At any rate, we/you REALLY need to pinpoint whats going on where you are because it seems like every time you post you have a dead or dying spider, and we really want to work to change that for everyone involved, most especially the spiders. ;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah it’s not the most mysteryious death after seeing the tumor but what type of stuff could slowly kill Ts with tumors ? Because my p striata had the same exact thing .
Does garage paint have any chemicals or lead in it ?? My mom had me paint the basement with it but it’s not waterproof and is peeling everywhere ??

Last edited:

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
Have you tried a different animal? That would make me pause before i got any more, sorry that it passed

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
I don’t know I check them everyday could a toxin from outdoors be leaking in the basement ?? What is going on .
What household products could be causing mystery deaths ?
I revamped all my cages with much deeper substrate . So fall are not possible, could Home Depot’s top soil be tainted if full of mold spores ?
It was fine until extra water was added .
Should I try Lowe’s the basement might not be warm enough for water to dry outback fast .

Tragedy , No signs of injury .
Any curing process so dry out dormant mold In soil ???
I've noticed personally when looking to buy gravel, sand, and soil from both Home Depot and Lowe's, all the bags are FILLED with mold. Very similar to what you have in your tanks.
The bags are constantly getting wet from the plant watering and never get a chance to dry. Even here in Arizona's very hot and dry climate
Even though it's cheap and readily available, I wouldn't buy soil n such from hardware stores unless you can see the bag you purchase is not filled with mold and nor are the ones around it.
I don't think the mold caused the death though, was just chiming in on the moldy bags they sell.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I've noticed personally when looking to buy gravel, sand, and soil from both Home Depot and Lowe's, all the bags are FILLED with mold. Very similar to what you have in your tanks.
The bags are constantly getting wet from the plant watering and never get a chance to dry. Even here in Arizona's very hot and dry climate
Even though it's cheap and readily available, I wouldn't buy soil n such from hardware stores unless you can see the bag you purchase is not filled with mold and nor are the ones around it.
I don't think the mold caused the death though, was just chiming in on the moldy bags they sell.
Definitely agree that most hardware stores stuff outside is super wet. However if you get it early enough, you can dry it out on your own. I just dump mine out in about four or five plastic containers and then stir it frequently to aerate it and dry it.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
Every time I go I check to see if they have any new bags that aren't moldy. Haven't found one yet, and I don't really want to try and clean all that.

sasker

Arachnoprince
it’s not the most mysteryious death after seeing the tumor but what type of stuff could slowly kill Ts with tumors ?
That does not look like a tumor to me. It looks like a 'drag burn' that some heavy bodied tarantulas seem to develop if they drag their obese body over the substrate. I used to have a Phormic with that problem, it came that way. It took several molts to completely disappear and it was not anywhere near as severe as what your spider had. It looks like a very severe wound and it does not surprise me that your spider perished, TBH.

I agree with @EtienneN that you can't exclude fall injury just because you never saw it climb. IMO, there is way too much room for this spider too climb.

If I were you and if my spiders were dropping like flies, I would completely overdo everything in my husbandry. I would change everything that could possibly have caused a problem. Looking at this particular tank setup, I get a strong 'ghetto enclosure' vibe from it. What is all that plastic junk in there? Where did you find all these branches and pieces of wood? Get rid of all this clutter and use a single piece of cork bark buried at an angle with room to dig underneath. I would replace the substrate with eco-earth or coco-vibre or whatnot instead of dirt from the local garden centre. Just to make sure that the substrate is not the problem. I would also put my tarantulas in proper enclosures instead of huge glass fish tanks with insufficient ventilation. And place the enclosures somewhere else than in your garage.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
You can buy huge bricks of it in the garden section of walmart. I use it, it's safe.

OR, consider putting this hobby on hold until you have your own place and you can afford to care for them correctly. I try not to say anything because I know you're struggling, but it's really irresponsible for you to keep tarantulas when they keep dying like this. I know I have seen those pictures of that LPs enclosure. I know people told you it was not suitable, and now you have a dead spider.