molt mat?

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have noticed that my Chaco Goldenknee doesnt do much webbing and I i walk in this afternoon to find him sittin ontop of some. Does this species do this pre-molt because I have been expecting a molt for awhile now?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could be, if he's hasn't eatin in a while and his rump is a dark color. If those things aren't evident then I would say he's just getting comfy.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could be, if he's hasn't eatin in a while and his rump is a dark color. If those things aren't evident then I would say he's just getting comfy.
Yeah I bought him in early january and he has refused crickets ever since then. His abdomen really isnt turning dark but it is kinda peeling and scab looking. When he denied food I just assumed he was about to molt.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
His abdomen really isnt turning dark but it is kinda peeling and scab looking.
The peeling and scab look has nothing to do with the skin or a molt. It's actually the urticating hairs that have come loose off of the skin. Just make sure he always has water and keep an eye on him and everything should be fine.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought the loss of hairs was a sign of premolt
The loss of hair is a sign that the spider was stressed and flicked the hairs off. I dont know who started that rumor but it seems that alot of people think that when a spider looses its hair, its gonna molt. They flick the hair off as a defense.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, loss of the hairs on the rump is a sign that the T has been aggitated enough to rub hairs off with the hind legs. The molting signs are a loss of appitite, a molting mat of webbing, seclusion for extended periods of time and a darkening of skin on the rump. All the hairs lost will be back following a molt utill the T gets irritated again and rubbs some off again.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just thought I would let yall know how the progress was going. Mr. Chaco is making an even more think molt mat and has been laying in the same spot for about 4 days now... The molting is getting closer, I think I might be able to catch him in the act, So I will try and get pictures if I can to get out to yall.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The T is on its back and has been for about an hour and a half, motionless. Should there be alot of movement from them or are they very still?

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
The scabby looking area you mentioned before is the mirror patch, its a patch of hair that grows in a different direction than the others giving the scabby appearance. Common trait among certain genera like grammostola or avcularia.

When the t is on its back, just leave it be it make take several hours for it to show any real progress. As a very general guideline don't worry until you hit the 24 hr mark and it is still molting.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Getting Closer... It has taken 5 hours to get this far

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! Your aureostriata reminds me such much of mine,I hope mine molts soon as well!:D

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well its finished, Chaco is out and very happy, SHE grew alomost .75". Im also happy that I found out that its female..My babies are growing up on me.