molt in a confined space

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my a. avic is molting right now and its in its little tube of web but it doesn't have much room. i was wondering if it will cause problems being in such a small area .. it was barely big enough for it before... and so should i cut down the web and put it on the ground or just leave it and hope that it knows whats best.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
none of mine have molted in my posession yet but I think that the spider knows best. From what I have read alot of the aboreals molt in their webs then toss the molt out when they are done

TheDon

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
No touch!

My A. chalcodes molted in its PVC pipe. I thought it was too small, but it got the job done. They use hydraulic pressure to dip their bristles up and down to push out of the molt, which takes very little space. I don't think the exuvium will bind and cause a problem, but keep an eye open through the process.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had my A. brocklehursti molt vertically in the entrance of its burrow. I was like, grr, you stupid stupid spider! But it worked out fine. I guess they know where they will be able to molt or not, so nothing to really worry about...

Dennis

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my b.albopilosa gathered a big pile of dirt and started to molt on the top of it, stuck in a very narrow space between the pile and the lid of a container...it was in the morning and I had to go to work, so I didnt see the molt (i was pretty nervous whole day in the office :))....I dont know how she did it, but in the evening everything was OK....I am just a mammal with no molting experience, so I trust the spiders and dont worry anymore :)

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she got through it just fine, she isn't much bigger but thats because they don't feed the spiders where ever they get them from. I,m constantly at the pet shop and every spider he gets has a shrunken abdomin. I've seen a 10" t. blondi come in there with a abdomin that was smaller the 1" by 1" the guy fed it two mice in 1 week but it died anyway. anyway how big do a. avics get?