Molt Help

My Mexican Red-Knee, or Brachypemla Smithi, molted inside her coconut hide. I think she was too big for it though because when she molted and flipped over, she looks all deformed. All the legs are kind of bent in a weird way. Anyone got any tips if she is deformed?

Psilocybin

Arachnopeon
Would need pictures to know what's going on, sometimes they can stand in weird positions and look abit weird for the time while they are hardening, but also could be a bad mould causing it to deform while it's soft

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Mexican Red-Knee or Brachypelma Smithi, molted in its coconut hide. I think she was too big for it though because when she flipped upright she looks all deformed. Please Help.
I highly doubt it, if the hide wasn't extreamly small ant the tarantula extramly big. Tarantulas doesnt choose to moult in a place that will give them trouble moulting, if they have a choice! Lets say an adult tarantula was in transit in time for moulting in a small enclosure, thats one thing, but in a terrarium, they never gonna moult in a pkace that is not fitting. Further more, tarantulas can moult in places that seems ver small without problems

sasker

Arachnoprince
Is this the first time a tarantula molted in your care? I am asking because I am wondering if the legs are more bent than what you have usually seen (if you have witnessed a molt before). Right after a molt, the exoskeleton is very soft and rubbery. Some strange looking bends and poses are not unusual. Your tarantula may just have to harden. How long ago did she molt?

Please post some pictures of your tarantula because it is very difficult to say if there is a problem without seeing the actual spider.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Freshly moulted tarantulas are teneral (pale and soft) until their exoskeletons harden up. The legs may appear bent/frail and the tarantula will be wobbly if it moves, it will spend the next days/weeks stretching and recovering. Just leave it be other than to make sure it has a full water dish.

Is this the first time a tarantula molted in your care? I am asking because I am wondering if the legs are more bent than what you have usually seen (if you have witnessed a molt before). Right after a molt, the exoskeleton is very soft and rubbery. Some strange looking bends and poses are not unusual. Your tarantula may just have to harden. How long ago did she molt?

Please post some pictures of your tarantula because it is very difficult to say if there is a problem without seeing the actual spider.
Yes my Curly Hair has molted Before.

She molted about 2-3 weeks ago. She is spreading out with her front 4 legs in 2 pairs and her back 4 legs in 2 pairs.

image.jpg
Would need pictures to know what's going on, sometimes they can stand in weird positions and look abit weird for the time while they are hardening, but also could be a bad mould causing it to deform while it's soft
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Those two photos, are they the spider you were talking about in the original post?

If so, you have a mature male Acanthoscurria geniculata, not a female Brachypelma smithi.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, that's 100% not a B. smithi. I don't like IDing from pictures alone, but I'd guess it's an Acanthoscurria species.

Secondly, it looks perfectly healthy. Although very leggy, and while the angle isn't the best, the pedipalps seem stubby. Can we get a better picture of just the pedipalps (the front two "legs" right by the fangs)? You may have a mature male on your hands.

Well, that's 100% not a B. smithi. I don't like IDing from pictures alone, but I'd guess it's an Acanthoscurria species.

Secondly, it looks perfectly healthy. Although very leggy, and while the angle isn't the best, the pedipalps seem stubby. Can we get a better picture of just the pedipalps (the front two "legs" right by the fangs)? You may have a mature male on your hands.
Ok so then the people I bought it from LIED because I bought it as a confirmed female and the tub it came in said BS but jeez this is hard to take in.

Ok so then the people I bought it from LIED because I bought it as a confirmed female and the tub it came in said BS but jeez this is hard to take in.
It was a pet store too so it kinda frustrates me.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

It was a pet store too so it kinda frustrates me.
To be honest, pet stores should be the last place you seek information. You were definitely taken advantage of, and you wouldn't have known this, but B. smithi shows adult coloration very early on. As in, only a couple inches across.

Like I said, post a picture of the pedipalps. Acanthoscurria species are great spiders (albeit not beginner ones). You'll just need to keep your fingers clear of it, because this genus is voracious when it comes to food.

If you've got a female? Great, no issue. If you've got a mature male? Try to trade him to a breeder for something you want.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If this T actually is a mature male you should rethink your enclosure. He'll be all over it, climbing, trying to find a mate, and your enclosure contains way too little substrate for that. He might hurt himself.
And please, whatever you do, don't try to handle this one! I've had a quick peek at your YT channel and you guys really seem to be into handling... not a good idea with this species.

We DO NOT. I handle most my T’s
If this T actually is a mature male you should rethink your enclosure. He'll be all over it, climbing, trying to find a mate, and your enclosure contains way too little substrate for that. He might hurt himself.
And please, whatever you do, don't try to handle this one! I've had a quick peek at your YT channel and you guys really seem to be into handling... not a good idea with this species.
one every 2 months now because our upload schedule got messed up. I do not mess with this one as it is very aggressive. Thank you for the pointers!

To be honest, pet stores should be the last place you seek information. You were definitely taken advantage of, and you wouldn't have known this, but B. smithi shows adult coloration very early on. As in, only a couple inches across.

Like I said, post a picture of the pedipalps. Acanthoscurria species are great spiders (albeit not beginner ones). You'll just need to keep your fingers clear of it, because this genus is voracious when it comes to food.

If you've got a female? Great, no issue. If you've got a mature male? Try to trade him to a breeder for something you want.
Yes he is very aggressive.

May have to wait a bit on the pedipalp shots because I’m away but I will get them ASAP.