Molt and Mold.

Craven

Arachnopeon
2 Questions:

My A. Geniculata, 1.3 inch DLS sling lost its appetite 4 days ago and the abdomen started to darken the day after. It just molted today. It was basically in premolt for about 4 days only. Is this the normal duration for premolt?

I would like to rehouse my sling as soon as its shell hardens because there's currently a mold outbreak in its enclosure. The substrate's surface looks like someone just lightly poured talcum powder on it and people here told me that type of mold is harmless. Is it really? If i rehouse my T, won't it carry spores on its legs and spread it to the new enclosure?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It just molted today. It was basically in premolt for about 4 days only. Is this the normal duration for premolt?
Tarantulas have been doing this for a long time. Whether is is normal or abnormal, the fact is tarantulas know when to molt, how to molt way more than us do.

there's currently a mold outbreak in its enclosure.
My bet is, it’s not an emergency.

Craven

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas have been doing this for a long time. Whether is is normal or abnormal, the fact is tarantulas know when to molt, how to molt way more than us do.
I guess. Idk why but I've always associated premolt with weeks. That's what the internet was able to suggest.

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
I guess. Idk why but I've always associated premolt with weeks. That's what the internet was able to suggest.
My G. Pulchra sling refused food for a couple of weeks, then hid in her hide for another week until she molted. So... Tarantulas know how to tarantula and leave us keepers going "huh ?"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
2 Questions:

My A. Geniculata, 1.3 inch DLS sling lost its appetite 4 days ago and the abdomen started to darken the day after. It just molted today. It was basically in premolt for about 4 days only. Is this the normal duration for premolt?

I would like to rehouse my sling as soon as its shell hardens because there's currently a mold outbreak in its enclosure. The substrate's surface looks like someone just lightly poured talcum powder on it and people here told me that type of mold is harmless. Is it really? If i rehouse my T, won't it carry spores on its legs and spread it to the new enclosure?
Ts don’t have a shell, they aren’t hermit crabs.

You can’t remove spores from a T.

A mold carpet- too wet inside. A decent indicator the air MAY be bad, which MAY lead to death.

Either let it dry out, or rehouse

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Is this the normal duration for premolt?
There is no "normal", some will eat right up until a moult, others will refuse to eat for months prior to moulting, you can reduce the likelihood of the latter by not overfeeding.

people here told me that type of mold is harmless. Is it really?
Mould is harmless to tarantulas (the only types of fungi that are harmful are unlikely to be encountered by keepers unless they're regulary buying WC animals), the conditions that create mould (excessive moisture & poor air circulation) not so much though. The thread below is worth a read.