Mold?

attercop

Arachnopeon
Is this mold and if so what can i do to keep it at bay, so iv been noticing a thin white sorta blanket on some of the substrate in my ts especially the t blondi almost like frost but not cold what is it?

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
It could be mould, turds or mineral deposits from evaporated water.
Do you have springtails in any of the enclosures?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like mold, which can be common in enclosures with consistently moist substrate. It's not harmful to the T, so you can just spot clean it which should help keep it under control.

attercop

Arachnopeon
It could be mould, turds or mineral deposits from evaporated water.
Do you have springtails in any of the enclosures?
I added some recently, it should help right?

It looks like a thin white fuzzy blanket on the dirt like how frost covers grass in the cold mornings i cant get a good picture its to reflecting off the acrylic, i did add springtails, but is that alright or will it still be an issue?

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I added some recently, it should help right?

It looks like a thin white fuzzy blanket on the dirt like how frost covers grass in the cold mornings i cant get a good picture its to reflecting off the acrylic, i did add springtails, but is that alright or will it still be an issue?
If it's a type of mold the springtails eat then they should help. As said above, make sure you have good ventilation and let the enclosure dry out a bit. Nobody can say if it'll be a problem or not without seeing it, but most mold isn't an issue.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I see that grow when the soil starts to get dry sometimes, the powdery stuff. It does resemble mineral deposits but I think it is a type of mold. I just scrape it off the top of the soil when I see some. If it is mold, my wild springtails don't seem to care about it at all, they just move to a different enclosure if that's all they have in there...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Photos would help.

If the surface sub has dried out somewhat then it's most likely mineral deposits left behind from any water in the substrate evaporating, apart from being somewhat unsightly for some it's a non-issue.

You will sometimes get white fuzz appear on some substrates shortly after setting up an enclosure, this is mould but it usually disappears pretty quickly as the sub dries out/the mould uses up the nutrients in the substrate, it's a non-issue.

Persistent/expanding areas of white fuzz on the substrate are likely due to a combination of poor ventilation and excessive moisture, the mould itself is not harmful but the conditions that facilitate its growth can be, in this case you can scoop out any patches of mould and improve enclosure ventilation/ease up on watering to prevent it from returning.

attercop

Arachnopeon
Photos would help.

If the surface sub has dried out somewhat then it's most likely mineral deposits left behind from any water in the substrate evaporating, apart from being somewhat unsightly for some it's a non-issue.

You will sometimes get white fuzz appear on some substrates shortly after setting up an enclosure, this is mould but it usually disappears pretty quickly as the sub dries out/the mould uses up the nutrients in the substrate, it's a non-issue.

Persistent/expanding areas of white fuzz on the substrate are likely due to a combination of poor ventilation and excessive moisture, the mould itself is not harmful but the conditions that facilitate its growth can be, in this case you can scoop out any patches of mould and improve enclosure ventilation/ease up on watering to prevent it from returning.
Thank you for the advice 🙂