Mold

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, I rehoused my h.lividum several days ago, and accidentally dumped way too much water into the substrate as I was moistening it. I stirred it all up and it didn't seem too bad, so I put the spider in and closed it up. It was clearly wetter in there than I thought, though, particularly in one corner. I soon noticed a lot of condensation, which hasn't shown any signs of evaporation yet. The fact that this particular tank has a lot less ventilation than the previous one I was using is surely not helping. Upon closer inspection, I noticed last night that what had previously appeared to me to be webbing on the moss is actually mold. I'm pretty sure, anyway, because it's everywhere on the moss in that one super-wet corner.

Not good, I know. I lifted up the lid and have laid a regular screen top on there for now, in the hope of helping some of the moisture evaporate, but I just wanted to get some opinions before I remove the moldy moss. Will that be enough, or should I remove all of the swampy substrate and replace it with drier stuff? The spider has already made a burrow, and I would rather not destroy it unless it's absolutely necessary. I tried peering down into the burrow, and thought I might have caught sight of a tiny bit of mold in there, as well. Is that possible, though? Can Eco Earth grow mold?

Suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'm having a similar problem with my Plantation Soil. I don't even have a spider in my container yet.

I'm not impressed.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, this whole situation made for an important (and interesting) lesson. First off, there is definitely such a thing as too much humidity. I found that out when I lifted up all the moss and found mold everywhere. :wall: Poor spider! I threw it all out and replaced the substrate.

More importantly, though: I will never again underestimate a tarantula's escape abilities. Turns out this one was somehow able to squeeze through the 1/4" gap on the side of that screen top I had resting on the enclosure to air it out. Luckily I noticed it wasn't in its tank, and found it in the first place I looked -- before it got a chance to bite my cats (or me). And before my cats got a chance to claw it up. I feel like a huge idiot, but you can be sure I won't be letting this happen again.

On the plus side, I've finally found a fitting name for this guy: Houdini.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'm glad you got it cleaned up...found your escape artist...and it's all good!