Mold - Total annihilation

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Semi sane method. In the grout between the tiles? In that nifty piece of wood? Those rocks? The substrate? How about a final real solution?
Petroleum jelly + propane torch.

Coat the object where the mold is growing with yer Vaseline. Pass the flame over the grease quickly so you don't scorch things. Back and forth with the flame so the grease gets at least 5 seconds of cooking.

How huh wha? Mold spores can withstand up to 500F! The mycellium is way deep inside the stone or wood! And the heated up Vaseline is well over 500F, has next to zero viscosity and can penetrate 1 inch of wood or 1/2 inch of grout/stone/cement in 5-10 seconds. Deep fat fried fungus.

PS Use common sense. Don't melt your plexiglas or set you house on fire too much. Use safety goggles too. Body armor only recommended for those near impermeable rocks that have moisture inside.
Enjoy your mold free world!

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
“The substrate” lemme just decimate all my isopod colonies w that good ol flame in the name of mold destruction. Jk of course.. Unless.....

only isopod keeping noobs have a mold problem😎
jk again bc that’s mean

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
“The substrate” lemme just decimate all my isopod colonies w that good ol flame in the name of mold destruction. Jk of course.. Unless.....
Rereading, I note I didn't say my plan was perfect. -;)
But you could just modify the old body lice removal method. Slowly set one side of your containment on fire then watch the unburning side with a deft hand and pair of tweezers so when them little darlings flee the flames you scoop them up, give them hugs and put them someplace safe. Yes? :smirk:

Seriously, if you have mold infected substrate it's bite the bullet time. Live with it or sterilize it. Get it soaking wet then bake it in an oven for an ~hour as hot as it gets will wham 99% of the spores. That's overkill for many common spores but the ones I've been using as test subjects, Stachybotrys chartarum, will survive a half hour in a 450 F oven and shrug at bleach, H202 and a bath in alcohol.

only isopod keeping noobs have a mold problem
Up on the damp north coast of Calif Oregonia we have an ongoing isopod problem. I've seen houses where they have more or less eaten entire window sills. Windows always sweat, sills are always damp,.. Add a little of the ubiquitous dry rot and It's an isopod buffet zone!

Last edited: