mold question

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Ok so 1 year into the hobby and I finally come across mold. I already have my little _ in a new enclosure. Now with the one with mold should I throw the entire enclosure away or if I clean it will it be ok ? My plan was to soak it with CLR and bake the stuff that was inside it in the oven at 250 for about 30 minutes. I would like to set it back up the same way for the little guy.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
not to sure about the clr. Chems might be to much for the T. When I clean I use antibacterial soap and water, rinse very very well dry out with paper towels. If it were me as far as the baking was concerned I would just replace the substrate and wash and dry the hide water dish ect.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so 1 year into the hobby and I finally come across mold. I already have my little _ in a new enclosure. Now with the one with mold should I throw the entire enclosure away or if I clean it will it be ok ? My plan was to soak it with CLR and bake the stuff that was inside it in the oven at 250 for about 30 minutes. I would like to set it back up the same way for the little guy.
No need for CLR.. Mold spores are everywhere and you breath them, eat them everyday..

If it's more than just able to be spot cleaned, which is recommended, take the T out into a temp enclosure or a deli cup and then trash the existing substrate and with a bit of dish washing soap clean the old enclosure making sure to rinse good to get rid of any soap residue, air dry, replace the substrate and then introduce the T back.

You don't have to go all nuclear on it with harsh chemicals like CLR.. :)

How big is the enclosure and I wouldn't re-use the substrate.. Just throw the old away, clean the enclosure as stated and put in new sub.

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Ok cool no clr. Its just a little 4x4x4 clear cube with a 2 inch flower pot in it and was a 5th instar L.parahybana maybe 4th instar. Thanks guys.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok cool no clr. Its just a little 4x4x4 clear cube with a 2 inch flower pot in it and was a 5th instar L.parahybana maybe 4th instar. Thanks guys.
Oh yea.. put that baby of yours in another cube or vial if you have it then dump the sub down the toilette, saving the hide, and then scrub down with some hot water and dish soap the cube but pass on the soap on the hide. Those terracotta pots are pourus and may suck in some of the soap so to err on the side of caution just use hot water and scrub it down.

What I've found works well is an old "soft" toothbrush. I'll save one from myself or the kids when we swap them out every month or so and use that as a scrubber which helps get some of the stuck on poo/etc. Rinse well then pat or air dry and your good to go.

Replace sub and your back in business :)

I have several T's now in said cubes ranging from 1/2x1/2x2" up to 4x4x6" and keep re-using them for each new sling or as they grow out someone's always ready to be moved on up in the bigger cubes.

Enjoy.. I find re-housing is a great relax for me believe it or not :D

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Shoot, it aint THAT big of a deal... I get mold every now and then, just pluck out the area molding with the tweezers and whalaa good as new :D If there is alot though, I would definatly clean the enclosure. Nothing crazy, just hot water, dry it, dress it up and insert T. As for pieces of wood, run it under faucet of hot water and put it in the oven at a fairly low setting. Check on it OFTEN to make sure it doesn't catch fire and your good!

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
For larger enclosures I just spot clean then fix the problem (bad wood or lack of ventilation)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Shoot, it aint THAT big of a deal... I get mold every now and then, just pluck out the area molding with the tweezers and whalaa good as new :D If there is alot though, I would definatly clean the enclosure. Nothing crazy, just hot water, dry it, dress it up and insert T. As for pieces of wood, run it under faucet of hot water and put it in the oven at a fairly low setting. Check on it OFTEN to make sure it doesn't catch fire and your good!
Agreed,my Avicularias get mold from time to time.I just pull out what I can then turn the rest under the soil.Then I let it dry out some and all is well.As long as it's not rampant mold I think you should be fine,my T's are.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This ^^^

There is no need to freak over a little bit of mold, at all. Remove the portion of substrate with the mold and keep and eye on it, because you may have to remove a couple time due to spores dropping. Less stressful on the T, than replacing the substrate as well.

Now if the entire substrate is covered in mold, toss the substrate, rinse the enclosure with hot water and add substrate. Also, I wouldn't ever use harsh chemical to clean an enclosure that would be housing a T, because I couldn't 100% guarantee that it wouldn't leave something harmful behind. Plus it is definitely going overboard for mold. ;)