mold problem

toenailsoup

Arachnopeon
ive had mold in both of my tarantulas tanks ever since i put sphagnum moss in the tanks and sprayed it is it possible it could be the moss or is my room filled with mold spores it also happend at my cousins house with some moss i gave to her i think its the moss but i want more opinions

cold blood

Staff member
Mold spores are literally everywhere....unavoidable. Mold is pretty inconsequential. Just pick it out, if t keeps re-occurring, it means you need to dry things out a bit and increase ventilation. Making sure its clean is also important, uneaten prey or boli will be a magnet for mold...not saying that's the case, just throwing it out there.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
ive had mold in both of my tarantulas tanks ever since i put sphagnum moss in the tanks and sprayed it is it possible it could be the moss or is my room filled with mold spores it also happend at my cousins house with some moss i gave to her i think its the moss but i want more opinions
is the moss sanitary? you might be using too much water with not enough ventilation.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
If you are keeping the soil and moss damp you may look into getting springtails or isopods to help control the mold. They are not necessary for the proper housing of your T's, but they do serve a good purpose. I keep them in all my enclosures that have even the slightest bit of a moisture level. They do die off though very quickly if they dry out.

Spot cleaning the mold will work just fine and for most folks this is the easiest solution. Until a good population is built up the isopods and springs will not be able to keep up with faster growing molds. If you do decide to work with springtails and isopods i would suggest sticking to dwarf isopods and temperate springs.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have some mould deep near the bottom of the substrate in 2 tanks -- easily visible from enclosure side. Guess it's too deep for my ventilation to prevent it. I just ignore it. It's not an extreme amount or anything -- just par for the course in tanks that need more moisture. It shouldn't harm my T (and being so deep, not really in reach of T anyway).

I do try to alternate sides when I dampen substrate, but honestly, it just means more areas with mould, ime.
If you can reach the mould easily, no harm in spooning out areas with a lot of mould.

As mentioned above -- no way to completely avoid mould spores -- they are everywhere just waiting for a nice damp environment to set up shop.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
I’m going to have to agree with
@cold blood and the others. mold spores are everywhere why? Because that’s how they grow and spread etc. they’re in the air constantly, and when the right conditions presents itself poof there it is. The decomposition of whatever it is that is dying, they can grow, or the overly wet humid/damp not enough air circulation to circumvent.
What I like to do :
1. Never use too much water
2. Check your ventilation if it is DIY.
3. Get rid of the current batch of moss, and buy a new batch from different source. If you think this is the cause.
4. Completely clean the entire enclosure
Throw away old substrate. If mold is present.
5. Depending on the species only slightly DAMPEN the substrate, not soggy, not wet, just SLIGHTLY MOIST.
6. Clean all cork bark, deco, etc before adding to the enclosure.
7. Dust your T room frequently.
8. Wash hands before and after maintaining your T’s
9. Limit who goes into your T room, if in the living room, then I suggest they wash hands as well, or move T’s to a different room, coming from outside you have spores attached to clothing, I am not saying you have to decontaminate yourself lol
10. Cleanliness is Godliness, your T’s will thank you.
Again this is what I like to do, and everyone has their way of doing things.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Non-living moss kept damp in enclosures gets moldy. Just toss it and don't use moss. Though mold isn't an issue for Ts, anyways.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
@cold blood and the others. mold spores are everywhere why? Because that’s how they grow and spread etc. they’re in the air constantly, and when the right conditions presents itself poof there it is. The decomposition of whatever it is that is dying, they can grow, or the overly wet humid/damp not enough air circulation to circumvent.
What I like to do :
3. Get rid of the current batch of moss, and buy a new batch from different source. If you think this is the cause.
5. Depending on the species only slightly DAMPEN the substrate, not soggy, not wet, just SLIGHTLY MOIST.
9. Limit who goes into your T room, if in the living room, then I suggest they wash hands as well, or move T’s to a different room, coming from outside you have spores attached to clothing, I am not saying you have to decontaminate yourself lol
Springtails, one step wonder.

boina

Lady of the mites
What I like to do :
Most of what you are doing is a good way to actually get a really bad outbreak of mold. It's outdated advice - and it has been outdated for 30 years, but somehow science doesn't seem to get through, as usual. Mold spores are everywhere, as you stated yourself. Cleaning anything doesn't prevent spores. What prevents spores frome taking hold is a natural microfauna consisting of bacteria, single cell organisms, and slightly bigger organisms. You kill all that by cleaning - and then the first mold spore comes along, as it invariably will sooner or later, finding a wonderful, clean environment, free of any kind of competition... you can guess what happens.

Therefore:

Get springtails.

Don't clean cork bark, deco or anything.

Don't wash your hands before and after maintenance. Your hands actually have specific commensal bacteria on them that prevent pathogens and mold spores from taking hold. They also contain a layer of antimicrobial peptides. You wash them and all the wonderfully natural bactericidal and fungicidal properties of your skin are gone for at least half an hour. Microbiologists and even some dermatologists have been fighting this 'keep everything as clean as possible' mania for at least 30 years - this advice is already in my microbiology textbooks from 25 years ago and it hasn't changed.

Limit who goes into my T-room?? That's a joke, right? My 'T-room' is my living room.

And to state it again: Mold is harmless.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Most of what you are doing is a good way to actually get a really bad outbreak of mold. It's outdated advice - and it has been outdated for 30 years, but somehow science doesn't seem to get through, as usual. Mold spores are everywhere, as you stated yourself. Cleaning anything doesn't prevent spores. What prevents spores frome taking hold is a natural microfauna consisting of bacteria, single cell organisms, and slightly bigger organisms. You kill all that by cleaning - and then the first mold spore comes along, as it invariably will sooner or later, finding a wonderful, clean environment, free of any kind of competition... you can guess what happens.

Therefore:

Get springtails.

Don't clean cork bark, deco or anything.

Don't wash your hands before and after maintenance. Your hands actually have specific commensal bacteria on them that prevent pathogens and mold spores from taking hold. They also contain a layer of antimicrobial peptides. You wash them and all the wonderfully natural bactericidal and fungicidal properties of your skin are gone for at least half an hour. Microbiologists and even some dermatologists have been fighting this 'keep everything as clean as possible' mania for at least 30 years - this advice is already in my microbiology textbooks from 25 years ago and it hasn't changed.

Limit who goes into my T-room?? That's a joke, right? My 'T-room' is my living room.

And to state it again: Mold is harmless.
Nah I beg to differ, in the many years I’ve been keeping I haven’t had any problems with mold nor have I changed anything in the way I keep Arboreal species...
everyone typically follows the same path of Species that need a somewhat moist substrate... and in my opinion unless your enclosure is Naturalistic then you don’t need springtails. Was saying to limit those who goes into your T room for those that are meticulous about said mold spores, which are everywhere btw, also if in the living room then move them if worried. Cleaning does help limit, try it.. don’t dust at all just stop doing it everywhere where your T’s are I double, triple dog dare you.
Mine are as well, in the living room, like I said if you read, I didn’t say you have to decontaminate yourself. So point is everyone has a different way of doing things that works best for them, I keep my Arboreals the way I do and you do you...
I also stated that if you do have a mold outbreak in the enclosure, to clean everything afterwards... how hard was that to understand...

I like to wash my hands before performing maintenance, feeding, watering etc it’s just me, not because of mold not because of bacteria... like a reflex out of habit, do you wash your hands before you eat? After going potty? I’m sure you do right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nah I beg to differ, in the many years I’ve been keeping I haven’t had any problems with mold nor have I changed anything in the way I keep Arboreal species...
Because mold isn't a problem.

everyone typically follows the same path of Species that need a somewhat moist substrate... and in my opinion unless your enclosure is Naturalistic then you don’t need springtails.
Why would a T enclosure NOT be "naturalistic?" They aren't reptiles that can be kept on newsprint or paper toweling...

Was saying to limit those who goes into your T room for those that are meticulous about said mold spores, which are everywhere btw, also if in the living room then move them if worried. Cleaning does help limit, try it.. don’t dust at all just stop doing it everywhere where your T’s are I double, triple dog dare you.
LOL I don't dust. Ever. I don't even own anything for dusting. My Ts share space with a lot of dogs and our windows are always open in good weather as we live in the country. What's your point?

I also stated that if you do have a mold outbreak in the enclosure, to clean everything afterwards... how hard was that to understand...
I don't even remove the mold, let alone clean anything... why would you??

I like to wash my hands before performing maintenance, feeding, watering etc it’s just me, not because of mold not because of bacteria... like a reflex out of habit, do you wash your hands before you eat? After going potty? I’m sure you do right?
I am with you on this one, actually... I am FAR from a clean freak, but I do wash my hands quite often. We have a lot of different animals and do a lot of work outdoors, so I try to limit cross contamination.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Because mold isn't a problem.

Why would a T enclosure NOT be "naturalistic?" They aren't reptiles that can be kept on newsprint or paper toweling...

LOL I don't dust. Ever. I don't even own anything for dusting. My Ts share space with a lot of dogs and our windows are always open in good weather as we live in the country. What's your point?

I don't even remove the mold, let alone clean anything... why would you??

I am with you on this one, actually... I am FAR from a clean freak, but I do wash my hands quite often. We have a lot of different animals and do a lot of work outdoors, so I try to limit cross contamination.
True not all mold is a problem, some can be harmful to your T...
Except I for one Do Not Like nor Do I Want Mold in my T’s enclosures and Ive never had Mold in my enclosures. Naturalistic in sense of using REAL plants and more natural substrate is what I meant by that which I also do not use.
I live in a rather dusty place, farmers all around me. Dust is a natural harbinger of bacteria and can cause an outbreak of unwanted mold as well, not saying that it will but overtime it definitely can.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
True not all mold is a problem, some can be harmful to your T...
Except I for one Do Not Like nor Do I Want Mold in my T’s enclosures and Ive never had Mold in my enclosures. Naturalistic in sense of using REAL plants and more natural substrate is what I meant by that which I also do not use.
I live in a rather dusty place, farmers all around me. Dust is a natural harbinger of bacteria and can cause an outbreak of unwanted mold as well, not saying that it will but overtime it definitely can.
Explain to me how mold can be harmful to a T? Mold does not attack living tarantulas. Maybe if the *entire* enclosure is moldy, the air quality could be negatively impacted? But mold itself... nope.

Lots of things carry bacteria. Trying to exist in a sterile environment isn't healthy.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Explain to me how mold can be harmful to a T? Mold does not attack living tarantulas. Maybe if the *entire* enclosure is moldy, the air quality could be negatively impacted? But mold itself... nope.

Lots of things carry bacteria. Trying to exist in a sterile environment isn't healthy.
I think you need to do some more research on the matter...
ONE way that is bad if there is mold in your enclosure, the mold can grow inside of the book lungs of the Tarantula...