Mold on cork bark hide?

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
I'm seeing this weird crap on the lip of my tarantuals hide. It flicks off with a paint brush but comes back. What is it? Is it mold? I had a similar problem the first time i used this type of hide. 1494994767066-70914980.jpg 14949948347241454231429.jpg

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
If any one out there replies i will get to you as soon as possible. Its late at night when i posted this.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
"This is my water dish. Gonna bring it in my hide." :angelic:

Mold is usually indicative of poor ventilation, so you may want to post a picture of the whole enclosure. However, that's not always the case (see: my entire collection). Mold like that wouldn't even be on my radar. Don't worry about it. If you ever come across black mold, then yeah, eliminate that with extreme prejudice. That stuff is bad for most living things. If it gets out of hand and you find it difficult to control, then stop using cork bark like I've done. My terrestrials get nothing but broken terra cotta pots. Cheap, easy to modify, and absolutely impossible to mold on their own.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
That doesnt look like cork bark at all. At least any I've ever had. That looks like cut pine. Its probably sap oozing out of it. If they charged you what I have to pay for cork bark for that, you should be not happy.

user 666

Arachnobaron
That doesnt look like cork bark at all. At least any I've ever had. That looks like cut pine. Its probably sap oozing out of it. If they charged you what I have to pay for cork bark for that, you should be not happy.
It is pine, yes.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Best to replace the hide with some real cork bark, it looks more natural. I like to sterilize everything that's going into an enclosure, especially if it's been collected by myself.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Is that one of those Habba Hut hides? I only ask because I stopped using them a long time ago as they mould really easily, replace it with cork bark and you shouldn't have any issues.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I agree it's a pine half,, sold at most pet stores as reptile hide.

Nothing wrong with them. Just not cork bark

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I would replace that hide with a cork slab. Cork bark is vastly superior to those pine hides, it's practically mold proof.

I've read it's not a good type of wood to use for spiders. They can contain harmful oils that are considered toxic, so it's a bit of a gamble keeping it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In looking at the pictures I cannot at all what you are referring to. Arrows on the object of interest would be helpful.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I would replace that hide with a cork slab. Cork bark is vastly superior to those pine hides, it's practically mold proof.

I've read it's not a good type of wood to use for spiders. They can contain harmful oils that are considered toxic, so it's a bit of a gamble keeping it.
Doubt they are toxic. I've not had a tarantula die that had one in their enclosure yet. That includes a pair of rosies I've had over three. They do mold, so u can't keep them in a high humidity enclosure.