Mold on artificial plants?

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
So ive been using plastic plant as an anchor for my versicolor sling's little enclosure, but earlier I noticed some white fuzz on it? It's not poop, as there was poop as well and they werw noticeably different. Unfortunately I've already rehoused it and washed the plant without taking a picture. So my question is, is it possible for artificial plants to harbor any kind of mold?? I didn't think it was

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So ive been using plastic plant as an anchor for my versicolor sling's little enclosure, but earlier I noticed some white fuzz on it? It's not poop, as there was poop as well and they werw noticeably different. Unfortunately I've already rehoused it and washed the plant without taking a picture. So my question is, is it possible for artificial plants to harbor any kind of mold?? I didn't think it was
It's not possible, there must've been something else on the leaf, maybe that was some T poop that molded out.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
The poop is harmless but the fuzz might be so I'd make sure to get rid of the mold ASAP. Also what's the humidity like in the cage is it high, do you mist?

There's three main reasons mold usually grows in cages. dead/uneaten food, poop, and high levels of moisture.

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
The poop is harmless but the fuzz might be so I'd make sure to get rid of the mold ASAP. Also what's the humidity like in the cage is it high, do you mist?

There's three main reasons mold usually grows in cages. dead/uneaten food, poop, and high levels of moisture.
yup it's already been rehoused. not high at all, my country is pretty naturally humid so there's only a water dish in there for hydration/humidity. lots of ventilation too, and sub is pretty much dry. another thing that's got me puzzled is the fact that it hasn't even eaten in two weeks so there's no leftovers whatsoever. so it's possible for poop to mold?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
yup it's already been rehoused. not high at all, my country is pretty naturally humid so there's only a water dish in there for hydration/humidity. lots of ventilation too, and sub is pretty much dry. another thing that's got me puzzled is the fact that it hasn't even eaten in two weeks so there's no leftovers whatsoever. so it's possible for poop to mold?
Absolutely possible for poop to mold, it looks exactly like what your describing. Its not super harmful, mold is not going to affect your T unless it's growing in its book lungs. Nonetheless I'd clean out the moldy fuzz but no need to rehouse unless the entire enclosure is overrun.

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
Absolutely possible for poop to mold, it looks exactly like what your describing. Its not super harmful, mold is not going to affect your T unless it's growing in its book lungs. Nonetheless I'd clean out the moldy fuzz but no need to rehouse unless the entire enclosure is overrun.
i see. appreciate the explanation! so in the future if i see anything of the sort wiping it off with a cotton swab would be fine?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's just poop that's gone mouldy, it'll die out once it's used up all the nutrients in the poop. You can wipe it off if it bothers you but it shouldn't cause any problems beyond looking unsightly.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Mold really isn't that big of a deal unless you allow it to get out of hand. Mold is usually indicative of poor ventilation - that is, it's not the mold that will kill the spider but rather a stuffy enclosure. Mold in a tarantula's enclosure has a correlation to deaths that people have misinterpreted as a causation.

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
It's just poop that's gone mouldy, it'll die out once it's used up all the nutrients in the poop. You can wipe it off if it bothers you but it shouldn't cause any problems beyond looking unsightly.
I see, thanks for that. Never occurred to me that poop could mold

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
Mold really isn't that big of a deal unless you allow it to get out of hand. Mold is usually indicative of poor ventilation - that is, it's not the mold that will kill the spider but rather a stuffy enclosure. Mold in a tarantula's enclosure has a correlation to deaths that people have misinterpreted as a causation.
Was just extra worried as it's still a pretty small sling and this was the first time i've ever seen anything of the sort in my enclosures, thanks for the extensive response. Awesome channel too btw haha