Mold issue

Starchild Immortal

Arachnopeon
I occasionally get mold spores growing in my enclosures, and once in a while actual mushrooms will pop up. I use Eco Earth substrate so I’m not sure where it’s coming from. The humidity is higher in these enclosures which doesn’t help. Is there a way to prevent this? The room where my spiders are is naturally warm and humid, I don’t use heat pads and I rarely spray anything down-don’t need to. Just keep the small water bowl filled.

Attachments

Emi248

Arachnoknight
Mushroom spores in your room? If its humid it may cause that with a simple spore contacting with the substrate, maybe ventilate (if thats the word) The room a bit more.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I occasionally get mold spores growing in my enclosures, and once in a while actual mushrooms will pop up. I use Eco Earth substrate so I’m not sure where it’s coming from. The humidity is higher in these enclosures which doesn’t help. Is there a way to prevent this? The room where my spiders are is naturally warm and humid, I don’t use heat pads and I rarely spray anything down-don’t need to. Just keep the small water bowl filled.
Increase tank venting.
Humidity is not relevant in captivity for almost all species kept- keep them dry

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Whoa - anybody say more ventilation yet? Lol

Definitely get some air flow going. Vent your enclosures appropriately. Does the room have a ceiling fan? Really need some air movement/exchange

Emi248

Arachnoknight
Whoa - anybody say more ventilation yet? Lol

Definitely get some air flow going. Vent your enclosures appropriately. Does the room have a ceiling fan? Really need some air movement/exchange
We said it last page

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
The question of where the spores came from is irrelevant. Fungal spores are everywhere, floating in the air, and on every surface, which is why if you set up an environment in which fungus can grow, fungus will grow. The answer to the better question - how do you prevent overgrowth of fungus - has already been answered.

Starchild Immortal

Arachnopeon
The enclosure has ventilation, but I guess I’ll have to give it more. The room itself is very warm and humid this time of year. No ceiling fan. I have a small floor fan running and the one window that opens is opened as far as it will go.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
The enclosure has ventilation, but I guess I’ll have to give it more. The room itself is very warm and humid this time of year. No ceiling fan. I have a small floor fan running and the one window that opens is opened as far as it will go.
Ventilation close to substrate level as well as on or near the top gives good airflow and helps prevent stagnation. If you don't already have top + bottom ventilation, that would be a good place to start.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Springtails eat mold, their so awesome, I always recommend them, especially if your having a mold issue

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
We said it last page
Sorry, sarcasm 😉

I do agree with ventilation placement, too. Near substrate and towards the top. This has worked very well for me and I keep many moisture loving species.

There's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to moisture dependents. With a good eye, some attention, and some common sense , you'll be on your way in a positive manner