Mold in Milli enclosure

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 16, 2017
Messages
221
I have 4 Bumblebees, 3 stay burrowed and one is always out. I have branches in with them and the branches have developed a greenish mold, I can smell it when I open the lid. I've attached a pic. (I've also attached a pic of the wanderer that's always out just because he's cool as hell) Is the mold dangerous? I'd appreciate any info given. And How often should leaves be swapped out?
 

Attachments

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
591
I'm not sure about the mold being dangerous as long as it's not over taking the hole enclosure I have some spring up In my bumblebees as well if it starts to look like it's getting out of hand I remove it but otherwise I leave it bee and I just add more leaves as they are eaten
 

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 16, 2017
Messages
221
I'm not sure about the mold being dangerous as long as it's not over taking the hole enclosure I have some spring up In my bumblebees as well if it starts to look like it's getting out of hand I remove it but otherwise I leave it bee and I just add more leaves as they are eaten
It's only on the branches and I'm a couple of leaves. I was concerned that maybe I had to much moisture in the enclosure.
 

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
591
The way I check is if you pick up the sub it should be moist but if you squeeze it you shouldn't get any fluid if you do it's to moist but they feed on rotten and rotting organic matter there's going to be mold in so way shape or form you could add spring tails to help and if your worried I say take it out better safe than sorry because I can't say a hundred percent that it isn't or won't be harmful all I know is what I have done
 

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 16, 2017
Messages
221
The way I check is if you pick up the sub it should be moist but if you squeeze it you shouldn't get any fluid if you do it's to moist but they feed on rotten and rotting organic matter there's going to be mold in so way shape or form you could add spring tails to help and if your worried I say take it out better safe than sorry because I can't say a hundred percent that it isn't or won't be harmful all I know is what I have done
I think I'm going to invest in a cleaning crew. The sub is actually on the drier side so I just sprayed it down. I think I might just remove the branches and see what happens.
 

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Joined
Sep 28, 2015
Messages
193
You could get some springtails to help combat the mold.
I have a bunch of springtails in my one 10gal aquarium setup (no millipedes but there used to be some in there) and I never see mold in there.
And it stays VERY moist in there.
 

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
Joined
Jul 26, 2016
Messages
96
A little bit of mold here and there is fine, but that looks like quite a bit. I'd toss the stick and maybe use some cork bark instead. It isn't prone to molding and the millis will enjoy climbing it. As mentioned, springtails will help clean up. I never swap out leaves - when they decay or get eaten I just add a few more.
 

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Active Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2016
Messages
1,531
I rub mold covered stick and leaves between my fingers to kill the mold. Mold is pretty delicate. Easy to kill. I never remove leaves; the pedes eat them. If they aren't eating them, maybe they aren't degraded enough?
 

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 16, 2017
Messages
221
A little bit of mold here and there is fine, but that looks like quite a bit. I'd toss the stick and maybe use some cork bark instead. It isn't prone to molding and the millis will enjoy climbing it. As mentioned, springtails will help clean up. I never swap out leaves - when they decay or get eaten I just add a few more.
I'll remove the branches and we have a lot of cork bark so I'll try that. Def gonna get springtails. I don't ever see them out but I know their eating the leaves, so I'll just add some more.
 

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 16, 2017
Messages
221
I rub mold covered stick and leaves between my fingers to kill the mold. Mold is pretty delicate. Easy to kill. I never remove leaves; the pedes eat them. If they aren't eating them, maybe they aren't degraded enough?
Their eating, just wasn't sure if uneaten leaves have to be removed after a certain amount of time.
 

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Joined
Sep 28, 2015
Messages
193
Their eating, just wasn't sure if uneaten leaves have to be removed after a certain amount of time.
It should be fine.
Unless the mold starts to take over, you shouldn't need to worry about taking it out.
Unless it starts to smell really bad, that could be another reason to remove it.

or you could do what Mickiem said and just rub it between your fingers and leave it in there.
 

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jan 16, 2017
Messages
221
It should be fine.
Unless the mold starts to take over, you shouldn't need to worry about taking it out.
Unless it starts to smell really bad, that could be another reason to remove it.

or you could do what Mickiem said and just rub it between your fingers and leave it in there.
It does have a strong smell when I remove the lid, smells moist and musty. We're going to get some new branches and see what happens.
 

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Joined
Sep 28, 2015
Messages
193
It does have a strong smell when I remove the lid, smells moist and musty. We're going to get some new branches and see what happens.
That sounds good, since there's only four they might not be able to eat all that before it get out of hand.
I think if it happens again, just rub it up and leave it in.

Maybe getting some springtails would be a good thing to do eventually too!
 
Top