mold im my usumbaras tank

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i decided to put some branches i collected from the desert in my tank to make a long story short they molded is this a problem that should be removed or not. any help thanks chyguy

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, you wanna get that stuff out ASAP, give the tank a thorough cleaning and replace the substrate.

If you find interesting branches and other decorations in the wild, you should "sterilize" them before adding them to your terrarium. Some people recommend boiling, other baking (at low temps for long periods), or simply microwaving for several minutes(just remember to add a cup of water to the microwave so you don't damage the microwave itself - and DON"T nuke metal objects!).

Since these branches have mold already, get rid of them entirely and find new ones to clean up and add to the tank.

LCDXX

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I microwave I put the items inside large ziplock bags or in tupperware with some water. That way the steam will heat and penetrate the material evenly and more thoroughly.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It sounds like you are keeping your Orange Bitey Things TOO humid... I'm learning that it's not healthy for them. Lower the humidity and the mold will go away too!;)

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tthanks everyone ive taken the wood out and going to let the lid open for a while to let it air out.
chyguy

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whoa! Don't leave that lid open for long - anytime my OBT sees the lid off, he goes hiking! Best to look into a screen top, just to be sure.

My OBT is probably the ONE creature I worry most about getting out of its cage. BUT while I don't handle him (who'd want to?) I do let him get out and walk around on top of the other T cages... then I scoop him up with a jar.

My advice is to get a screen lid, though, to allow excessive moisture to ventilate... and it's probably not a bad idea to put a heavy object on top of the lid or invest in clamps - just ask my wife, she had a cow the first time she spotted that thing cruisin' the computer room looking for trouble ;)

LCDXX

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I have accidentally gotten substrate too wet, I just transfer the T to another enclosure and put the too wet one out in the sun and stir it every once in awhile. And that gives me an opportunity to thoroughly clean it. Don'y worry, I put it in the freezer afterwards to kill any flies, mites or what have you that might have snuck their way in... never had a problem with those.

I do NOT have enough juevos to let my OBT run loose in the house. You are one brave man... for not being afraid of the OBT AND not being afraid of what your wife will do to you if she finds out!:D I am impressed!!

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I do NOT have enough juevos to let my OBT run loose in the house. You are one brave man... for not being afraid of the OBT AND not being afraid of what your wife will do to you if she finds out!:D I am impressed!! [/B]
LOL! Well, he doesn't romp around without parental supervision, I guarantee that. As much as I don't like to handle any of my Ts (save for one exception - my A. Avic) I do like to let them get out once in a while and "stretch their legs". Plus, despite all my critters, I can't help but be mesmerized by their mobility.

It's one thing to observe something like a tarantula in its tank, it's another thing to take it out and let it venture into unknown terrain.

My wife, however, doesn't seem to mind it so long as I don't jeopardize the pet rats, dogs, cats, other Ts, scorpion, and M. Hissing cockroaches (well, until our colony gets larger ;).

My OBT, though quite psychotic and aggressive (I characterize his attacking motions to something akin to The Matrix - pure @$$-whooping action!), he's easily transported and most willingly climbs right into any jar or container I choose to collect him in and place him back in his tank.

LCDXX

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Oh how funny... I like the Matrix reference!!! I can just see my little "Persimmon" flying in the air sideways, four rear legs in a karate-kick position!!! Like you say, it's not that far-fetched!!!