Moisture for B. Smithi??

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got 4 new B. Smithi slings and I'm a little confused. I thought that these were desert species and so would appreciate a lower humidity environment. However when I opened the deli cups, they were actually pretty wet. I dumped the contents of the deli cups into somewhat larger Gladware containers that are about 1/2 full of dry coconut bedding. Should I moisten the bedding?

Regards,
J--

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep my B. smithi on slightly moist coconut bedding. A sling will require a higher humidity level than an adult. I spray mist one side/wall of the deli cup maybe 1 or 2 times a week to keep it slightly moist. You don't want the substrate to dry out completly, but don't drowned it either. Hope this helps.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They do come from a humid area but maintaining moisture in it's container is not neccessary. As slings they will get all the moisture they need from the food that they eat except around molt time. At around 2 inches or so, they will require a water dish to drink from and that will help add humidity to the container. At a larger size, it won't hurt to over flow the dish a couple of times a month. Let the substrate dry out completely every now and then to help prevent mites. Hope this helps.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What size are the spiderlings? If under 1/2 inch, you will want to keep a tad more humid than older specimens

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What size are the spiderlings? If under 1/2 inch, you will want to keep a tad more humid than older specimens
Yea, I keep all my slings a little moister than adults. IME they seem to dehydrate much quicker and its harder to see a molt coming on, so better safe than sorry.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do as well. My B. smithi slings get several drops of water down the sides of their deli cups twice a week, as soon as they are big enough to come out of the deli cup, they get a small water dish, usually a soda bottle top.

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These are 1/2" slings, so I guess I will add some moisture when I get home. Thanks for the help. One of the little buggers molted in transit! Now there's a brave smithi for ya!

Thanks again,
J--