Mmm, help me decide on a new T for Xmas

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So far, I'm leaning towardss getting something unusual and blue-ish ... I have a choice between one of the following :

Violet Tree Spider - Tapinauchenius cupreus
Cobalt Blue - Haplopelma lividum
Purple Tree Spider - Tapinauchenius purpureus
Singapore Blue - Cyriopagopus spec. blue

Now the lividium is an OBLIGATE burrower if I'm correct so I guess I wont see it often ?? I'm not too clued up on the Tapinauchenius genus either ... since I have mostly Brachy's and Grammastola, a few Nhandu and others

Any advice/comments ? They are all slings in a similar price range ($35-50)

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Both of my H. lividums (Cobalt blues) are pet holes, so yes, you would not see them. I get to see the tips of their toes at times, when I open the cage to water, check for any boluses, and feed.

Marga

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Put GBB on your list! I don't have one, but they are blue-ish and have an awesome reputation. Slings can be had for a reasonable price.

--Dan

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a GBB sling for my pre-Xmas present :eek:
- love him already. Tiny but not afraid and a little piggy eating crix almost 3 times his size :)

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now the lividium is an OBLIGATE burrower if I'm correct so I guess I wont see it often ??
I made a little burrow for my ~3 inch H. lividum in a corner of the terrarium on the side that faces outwards so I'm able to see him/her during the day, even though s/he just sits there. S/he placed a lot of webbing in and around it almost immediately and took a liking to it. At least if it's going to be a pet hole, you'll be able to see them through the terrarium.

It was a little burrow when I first made it, then s/he decided to add to it's length.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Ephebopus cyanognathus +1 if you can find one. Very colorful as a sling and very unique as an adult. What's up with that fang color? I currently have a sling and she is as piggy as a gbb sling. Only downside that comes to mind is the high humidity requirement. But if you want something a bit more flashy, a P.metallica would be the sling to get. Maybe double your price range but worth every penny...

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I made a little burrow for my ~3 inch H. lividum in a corner of the terrarium on the side that faces outwards so I'm able to see him/her during the day, even though s/he just sits there. S/he placed a lot of webbing in and around it almost immediately and took a liking to it. At least if it's going to be a pet hole, you'll be able to see them through the terrarium.

It was a little burrow when I first made it, then s/he decided to add to it's length.
A rock in a hole!;)!

--Dan

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I totally vote for one of the Taps! I have a T gigas that's my favorite T. It has a dirt covered web burrow, but I see it all quite often. They are skittish, but feisty eaters and fast growers. Eventually I want to add some of the other Taps to my collection.

Although I must say add a T gigas to your list ;) The neon orange and pastel green is a striking combo.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A rock in a hole!;)!

--Dan
During the day, a rock in a hole for sure but if I happen to get up during the night for whatever reason, I'll take a flashlight and hold it far enough away so as not to rock its world with a sudden burst of bright light but close enough to see what's going on in there, and s/he is always moving around outside the burrow keeping busy.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So far, I'm leaning towardss getting something unusual and blue-ish ... I have a choice between one of the following :

Violet Tree Spider - Tapinauchenius cupreus
Cobalt Blue - Haplopelma lividum
Purple Tree Spider - Tapinauchenius purpureus
Singapore Blue - Cyriopagopus spec. blue

Now the lividium is an OBLIGATE burrower if I'm correct so I guess I wont see it often ?? I'm not too clued up on the Tapinauchenius genus either ... since I have mostly Brachy's and Grammastola, a few Nhandu and others

Any advice/comments ? They are all slings in a similar price range ($35-50)
I suggest a a Singapore Blue... Really nice looking spider IMO.. I believe they are known as the L. violaceopes now.. IDK much about them though to say with for sure..

Also.. The T. purpureus had is name changed to T. violaceus.. Not sure when.. But I remember reading that it was changed.. :)

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
H. lividum is a good choice. Yes they're obligate burrowers but still an awesome tarantula. Now personaly I've been wanting a Tapinauchenius for awhile so I'd go with that.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
go for a GBB they r have it all color and are awesome eaters. my two inch and half slings are more fun to watch eat than my 6 inch female LP. they are also always out in the open

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get whatever turns your crank! I like things that most people don't!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any tap. They are just a great t to have.Fast,always hungry.We love our female gigas to pieces.I am very surprised that they are not more popular than they are,and that they are still pretty affordable.