MM sperm webs

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
my MM curly hair has made 2 sperm webs in 1 month one was huge! and could fit about 4 of him in it and now this one barley covers his Abdaman and i have no idea what he is doing lol he is just wiggling around but my question is how many sperm web dose the average MM make in a year?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hard to say. As soon as they have served their purpose the spider destroys them. I've found 4-5 in both my mature parahybanas' tanks after they died. but that doesn't say it only were that few.

P.S. "abdomen" D.S.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Usually they'll make another sperm web after they've mated
I doubt that mating is a requirement for them making another sperm web. I'd find it more likely that they make one after mating because they're not yet too old to still make one. But if you think you got it right, I'd really like to see the info you're basing this on.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The info is personal experience shared with other breeders.
IME Males will produce a sperm web about 2 weeks after maturing. The web will often be diagonally slanted from the side of the enclosure to the substrate. The male will climb underneath to deposit the sperm and climb on top to infuse his emboli. Shortly afterwards the sperm web is destroyed sometimes with little evidence of it.
When Ive used a male with several females the method I use is to wait for the male to create another sperm web before introducing him to the next female. Sometimes the male can be encouraged to create another sperm web by shark tanking, but its sometimes necessary for him to have direct contact with the female before he'll make another sperm web.
The exception to the rule, IME, is Poecilotheria. It has been suggested that they only require a single insertion from one emboli and therefore consecutive females may not immediate follow a sperm web.
Its the accepted practise in the UK that priority is given to MM that have recently produced a sperm web and that after a mating the MM is not used again until another sac is produced. Of course nobody can guarantee this as the sperm webs are not always seen nor is the opportunity of a MM refused based solely on the lack of a sperm web.
I've not experienced sperm webs are creation in the way you describe. Ive noted some males will only create one sperm web if they're not required for breeding but other breeders have suggested a number of sperm webs over a period of months.

I'd be interested to know if there's a sell-by date for the sperm within the emboli that would require the male to reproduce another sperm web. Certainly the female can store the sperm for exended periods and its not until the eggs are laid that the sperm is used to fertilise them.

pok2010

Arachnopeon
My MM G.rosea, MM OBT have made 3 sperm webs (G.rosea), and the OBT made 2. yet not been bred as of yet, as the females are in premolt

so yea after mating they will make anouther, even with out mating they will still do it, (reload the palps and so on)

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Cool, thanks! That was very interesting.

I have no idea about sell by dates but that my lonely, unmated males made several sperm webs within a period of a few months would suggest there might be one.