MM scared of female suddenly?

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
I have paired my C.ritae 3 times recently and the male has gotten good insertions every time. I've tried pairing them twice recently and the female is drumming like crazy and the male just runs away frantically. Any ideas as to what might cause this? I've rehomed her into a larger container could this somehow be the cause behind his sudden lack of desire?

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
I also experienced this one. My male was like as horny as hell the first 2 pairings then on the 3rd try, he looks like the biggest chicken out there. I think it could be because the male haven't loaded up again. Im not so sure but someone here in AB brought that up in one of the postings...

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
He hasn't built a sperm web so that could definitely be why. He was just such a stud the first few times this has had me puzzled.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
thats definately why, he just has no reason to approach her. Now the waiting game until he makes another. You never know, by that time she may not be receptive to him anymore, and if thats the case, he may have got the job done anyways if he got a good insertion and is now running. Good luck! :)

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Stop pairing them, you are going to get your male killed.

Males can sense the females receptiveness without having to touch/pair with the female. There are chemical signatures/pheromones released by the female that can be picked up by the male's sensory organs that tells him if the female is close to molt or already gravid.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I misread. I had the opposite happen while mating my A. avicularia today.

Last edited:

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire

Males can sense the females receptiveness without having to touch/pair with the female. There are chemical signatures/pheromones released by the female that can be picked up by the male's sensory organs that tells him if the female is close to molt or already gravid.
The female is still drumming any time the male is in with her and has had plenty of chances to eat him if she wanted. So although that may be the case at times I kind of doubt thats the scenario

Danahan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Perhaps his palps are empty, or he already did his job and she's gravid.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Do you have any links to a actual study on this or is it just conjecture? Just curious because i have had males try to breed males and molts and other stuff also! Would be a good read if you have a article on this!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Do you have any links to a actual study on this or is it just conjecture? Just curious because i have had males try to breed males and molts and other stuff also! Would be a good read if you have a article on this!
Sorry, I can't remember the source but I have had first hand experience breeding and have males reject/run away from females in premolt or already gravid and then run towards freshly molted females.

About your males mating with other males, I believe that immature males smell the same to mature males as females would.

If you run a search keywords 'mature male breeding pheromones', and 'mature male gay' you will find what you are looking for.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
If you run a search keywords 'mature male breeding pheromones', and 'mature male gay' you will find what you are looking for.
Ok... Just curious and I dont want to mean any harm with this question... Does homosexuality also exist in tarantula world? Coz if this phenomenon exist then this explains why some males Ts have no interest in any females... I have some males that from maturity til they died, they never mated with any of my females. Either they run right away or just doesnt show interest (freezing like a stone even if female is already on an attack posture)... Even after making sperm webs, they show no drumming or what-so-ever reaction except to run away... My friend even joked that common observation on these males were that they moved very slowly and in a feminine type... Lol...

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Ok... Just curious and I dont want to mean any harm with this question... Does homosexuality also exist in tarantula world? Coz if this phenomenon exist then this explains why some males Ts have no interest in any females... I have some males that from maturity til they died, they never mated with any of my females. Either they run right away or just doesnt show interest (freezing like a stone even if female is already on an attack posture)... Even after making sperm webs, they show no drumming or what-so-ever reaction except to run away... My friend even joked that common observation on these males were that they moved very slowly and in a feminine type... Lol...

Well that question raises another question, what is homosexuality?

Short answer homosexuals are 'only' sexually attracted to those of the same sex.

And the answer to the question of whether males that do not mate with females should be considered gay is no, impotence has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Homosexuality exists in the animal world. Nothing wrong with homosexuality other than there isn't a way for you to reproduce as a homosexual with the same sex partner(s).

Search "animals with homosexual behaviors"

Rob1985

This user has no status.
how did we go from tarantula mating to homosexuals? lol :?

my C.ritae female is very skittish and def. get's aggressive at times, but thats about all I know of this species.

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
This male is a complete spaz and doesn't move even slightly slow. The first pairing he went as far as flipping the female on her back while getting insertions

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
This male is a complete spaz and doesn't move even slightly slow. The first pairing he went as far as flipping the female on her back while getting insertions
When was the last time you introduced him to the female?