MM mating problems

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
Hi, so I tried pairing a MM Albo that I found online with my MF Albo. The male arrived in great shape, and it is ready to breed according to the seller. I put it in my female's enclosure, and all seemed well, the female was drumming, but the male was... shaking? after they got face to face, and touched already, the male shook, and then ran away. My female looked so excited as well, hahahaha. but anyway, what do you guys think is the problem?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Which locality is your female? Which is the male? You didn't specify in your post.

There's some decent evidence that T. albopilosus from Nicaragua and T. albopilosus from Honduras are not actually the same species. You should not try to pair the different localities.

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
Which locality is your female? Which is the male? You didn't specify in your post.

There's some decent evidence that T. albopilosus from Nicaragua and T. albopilosus from Honduras are not actually the same species. You should not try to pair the different localities.
I'm quite sure that they're the same species, and locallity. The seller did also say that the MM is a virgin, does that affect it as well?

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
here, this is what I mean by the male runs away. it seemed good, they were both tapping, but then he just... runs away

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
here, this is what I mean by the male runs away. it seemed good, they were both tapping, but then he just... runs away
I see the shaking but I'm not worried there. He certainly wasn't interested though, he walked away it seems.

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
How are you planning on getting rid of the babies, in Canada,USA, and Europe it can be hard to sell t.albos for a dollar each
I'm from the Philippines, Albos are Very popular around here, plus there are close to no big brands here, so... yeah

I see the shaking but I'm not worried there. He certainly wasn't interested though, he walked away it seems.
so what do I do? do I just keep trying?

su3cl3a8

Arachnopeon
Shaking is part of the ritual for some spp as mentioned above. Based on your video, both parties seem interested. Did the seller mentioned the male made a sperm web before? I ask because some people think males may avoid further mating if they know they're not loaded, which makes some sense to me.

You can try shark tanking for a few days before next attempt, and even put some pieces of the female's webbing into the male's enclosure. During this period you can observe their interaction and look for any sperm web remains. Good luck!

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
Curious why so popular?
honestly, idk. if I were to guess, we Filipinos love learning, and trying new stuff, so there are a lot of people becoming spider keepers here, so the beginner sp. are always a bestseller. Add the fact that selling them could mean a steady source of income means that more people will become interested in a country with a lot of poverty.

Shaking is part of the ritual for some spp as mentioned above. Based on your video, both parties seem interested. Did the seller mentioned the male made a sperm web before? I ask because some people think males may avoid further mating if they know they're not loaded, which makes some sense to me.

You can try shark tanking for a few days before next attempt, and even put some pieces of the female's webbing into the male's enclosure. During this period you can observe their interaction and look for any sperm web remains. Good luck!
ok, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it. :)

what do I do if he still runs away? is there any other possible reason?

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
yooo, it seems to be successful! I tried again today, and it seems to have gone well! I'm like 85% sure that there was an insertion, so now I have a small list of questions I would like to be answered pls. :)

-When should I expect a sac?
-How do I incubate the sac after separating it from the mother?
-when should I expect the slings to come out?
-how many slings do I expect?

sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem to find reliable info anywhere

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can mind many examples of incubation on the forum. They can produce a ton of slings, hundreds.

Good luck

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just so you are aware we have a section for breeding reports. Congrats on the pairing, better get a ton of supplies you may have quite a few slings to deal with before too long