MM H pulchripes size?

BasedGod

Arachnopeon
My H pulchripes matured into a male. But the size is shockingly small. I heard of them maturing out in a year but i didn't even expect him to be so small. Is this common? Bottlecap for comparison. 20200328_040150_Film3.jpg 20200328_040432_Film3.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Males mature at a wide range if sizes, but its not uncommon for males to mature at much smaller sizes than an adult female.

omni

Arachnobaron
oh if you think that's small, when I kept E. scrofa, even tho it's considered a dwarf sp. F's could get to 4.5" but a MM could be 1.5, so cute and tiny. I always worry about if a MM would be too small to survive a pairing. I do think if a MM is well below the avg size for the sp. it shouldn't be bred.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
oh if you think that's small, when I kept E. scrofa, even tho it's considered a dwarf sp. F's could get to 4.5" but a MM could be 1.5, so cute and tiny. I always worry about if a MM would be too small to survive a pairing. I do think if a MM is well below the avg size for the sp. it shouldn't be bred.
i have heard that males who are grown more quickly (high heat and lots of food) tend to mature out smaller than those grown out slowly.

I personally have not seen enough to confirm or deny that, but it coupd indicate that mature size is more dependant on external factors than genetics and that the small male may simply be due to the method of care it received.

omni

Arachnobaron
probably true but I am just a fan that bigger might be stronger and more healthy when it comes to T's. little T's tend to not live as long as bigger ones of the same sp. probably are exceptions. my 2 male scrofa's were 1.5 and 2.5" the little bitty guy died a month after hooking out, the other went almost 4 months and did his job with another breeder's girl. 2 examples tho are not really good to make a general rule.

Shaka

Arachnopeon
Seen them first hand in the wild here in South Africa, males can be pretty small but vary in size from around 7cm to 10cm