Mites?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Came home from school and checked on Shelob. She's sitting by the heat pad and there's a small white thing on her abdomen. I'm not talking about the patches caused by flicking hairs, I know what those are and I see that she has a couple of those. Can you all see the little white puff there?

(Sorry the pics can't be better quality; my stupid $400 digital camera doesn't exactly live up to expectations when photographing indoors.)
I haven't once overfilled her water dish yet since she got here, and the enclosure is well-ventilated (mesh top tank). The only thing I feel guilty for is that about 10 days ago I put a really small cricket in there that I'm afraid got lost. I couldn't find it anywhere in the tank, so I put a new layer of substrate all over the tank. The cricket was REALLY small though, and this is a brand-new setup so I was hoping that it wouldn't attract any mites.
Please tell me those aren't mites... :(

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
(Sorry the pics can't be better quality; my stupid $400 digital camera doesn't exactly live up to expectations when photographing indoors.)
On your focus settings there should be a macro setting. It will be a flower icon. This will allow you to take clearer closeups of whatever you need.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
On your focus settings there should be a macro setting. It will be a flower icon. This will allow you to take clearer closeups of whatever you need.
Yeah I know about macro, I'm a photographer. xD It's definitely the camera I'm using. My dad's is much better at taking indoor shots so when he gets home later I'll borrow it and take a better picture.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That looks like spider poo........ Sometimes they get it on themselves.
If it was a mite it would be moving. You have only had the T a few weeks so I doubt its mites. You are keeping her dry right with just a water dish?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
That looks like spider poo........ Sometimes they get it on themselves.
If it was a mite it would be moving. You have only had the T a few weeks so I doubt its mites. You are keeping her dry right with just a water dish?
Yep, I'm keeping the tank really dry and warm.
*Whew* That's good to know. It's not moving; it just looks like a really tiny cotton ball stuck to her butt. =P

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For mites to occure there has to be three things..... wet warm and food. Without one of those nothing happens. So if you try your best to remove food items, and leave her dry with a water dish things will be just peachy.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Well I have a small heating pad that isn't too warm, just a little. I have two water dishes attached to one another, a large and a small; I only fill the small one up (I never mist). Only thing wrong is that little cricket that went missing.
I took a clearer photo. Could it possibly just be some webbing?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's either a little webbing or a little of it's own poo or something like that but that's not a mite so don't worry about that. It's good your noticeing things like this because that means not much will get to your T. You will find things on your T that aren't suppose to be there because of the bull dozeing and webbing things up so expect weird things like this to show up every now and then. If it were mites, you would see more than one and they would be moveing around so take a deep breath, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its fine I dont think its anything. She really likes that heat mat doesent she.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Thanks so much for all your help. :) Yes, she definitely loves the heat pad. At night she goes to the log shelter and in the morning she cuddles up with the heat pad and stays there pretty much the whole day. {D

CodeJACK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When i got my G. rosea from a pet store it had a small white mark similar to that on its leg. I thought it was mould or fungus of some kind because of the very damp container she came in. it could have been poo.
She was, at that stage, not bothered by me holding her so i got a damp paper towel and was able to wipe it off.
If it were mites theres no way the camera of that quality would pick em up. there really small. look very close at the joint between the carapice and abdomen for tiny little white buggers that move about the area. I found this to be the most common place for mites to hide, but yours looks clean and healthy.

Nice lookin T, enjoy.

Rob