mites?

mattyj

Arachnopeon
hey guys i have just notices a really small amount of little white insects crawling around my tank...if they are mites how do i get rid of them

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey guys i have just notices a really small amount of little white insects crawling around my tank...if they are mites how do i get rid of them
I'd remove the scorpion(s) and change the substrate.

What kind of a set up do you have?

And are you removing dead prey detritus?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi

Yes they are mites, but if they are white and about the size of a pin head they are harmless. They feed on dead stuff, may be a danger to Slings, but not adults. If in dought get one of your adults out and examine around their mambrains, and lung entrances, if they are clear your OK, if not you have a problem.
You will probably want to get rid of them anyway, as they are unsightly to do this there are a number of ways.

1. complete cahnge out, steralizing the soil, and furnishings you put back in.
2. Introduce a predator that likes mites, like predatory mites Hyapsis miles is a good one.
3. Dry your enviroment out a lot

But the best way to avoid a reocurance is to remove wast and keep clean, steralize everything you put into the tank. There are plent of threads on hear about mites have a look. Any other Qs get back to me

mattyj

Arachnopeon
i only have a female scorp atm with scorplings..they were born bout 2 days ago. but how can i do this without stressing her out.. im scared of her eating her young...i have just put the part of her substrate with the mites in the microwave to kill them...could this help

Last edited:

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Are the mites on the slings or the adult? If not chances are you will be be ok. Steralizing only part of the sub will not work. You need to do 100%, to be sure to get babies and eggs, as you have slings, I,m not 100% on what to do. My advise is leave well alone if ther are not on your scopions. There is a very good chance they are just scanvengers, not parasitc, in wich case they are benafishal to have around. If they are on your scorps, you need to take action, if you dont you will losse your slings anyway. Good luck