Mites?

aiyana7

Arachnopeon
I saw the C. Versicolor at petco and I just couldn’t resist but I got it home and upon closer inspection I’m pretty sure it has mites. I’m super bummed but Im hoping someone can help me with treating this issues I’ll take any advice. I’m worried mostly about the quality of life and the mites never going away. I don’t wanna return the guy and give up on him.

Attachments

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is highly unlikely to be a problem for the T. It was probably kept in too wet an enclosure.

Add isopods (aka rollypolies / pill bugs) and/or springtails to the enclosure and eventually they will out-compete the mites, which will eventually die off from starvation.
If you have a really bad case of mites infestation, get some predatory mites (mites that eat mites and then die of starvation when all the other mites are dead) but I doubt it will be required at all.

aiyana7

Arachnopeon
It is highly unlikely to be a problem for the T. It was probably kept in too wet an enclosure.

Add isopods (aka rollypolies / pill bugs) and/or springtails to the enclosure and eventually they will out-compete the mites, which will eventually die off from starvation.
If you have a really bad case of mites infestation, get some predatory mites (mites that eat mites and then die of starvation when all the other mites are dead) but I doubt it will be required at all.
So could I just like go outside and catch some rollypollies for now until I order some springtails and do you think I should put him in a temporary tank or can he go into his forever tank?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So could I just like go outside and catch some rollypollies for now until I order some springtails and do you think I should put him in a temporary tank or can he go into his forever tank?
It depends on your level of OCD-ness.
10 years ago if I were you, I would put the T in a temp enclosure, get captive-bred isopods and springtails cultures and make sure they are viable in the perm enclosure then transfer the T over. That would take about 1-2 weeks or so.
Nowadays I'm old and can't be bothered, I would just put the T in the perm enclosure.

Don't get me wrong. It is POSSIBLE that the mite is the bad kind but it's so rare that it's like winning the lottery (maybe not that low but you get the picture).