Mites On S.Subspinies (Hong Kong)

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the second time I've seen these little things on my Hong Kong Giant.. Each time I douse her with a little talcum powder (as advised by a local vet that specializes in inverts) and they seem to go away...I've done just about everything from changing substrate to completely keeping her dry (I know I know) and they still come back...Anyone have any ideas??

She's Definatly a W/C Female as well....Just for Referance

I'll toss in a couple pix of it, but they're kinda hard to see...even with a good zoom on her...

Last edited:

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ugh- my millipede has almost the exact same thing on her. I figured they were mite eggs. What kind of talcum powder do you use? and how much do you put on? Just a sprinkle?

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ugh- my millipede has almost the exact same thing on her. I figured they were mite eggs. What kind of talcum powder do you use? and how much do you put on? Just a sprinkle?
I Use Just plain and simple baby powder, And usualy enough to coat the area pretty well...kinda makes the pede look Red and white to be honest

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a smaller one get mites and i took it out of its enclosure and put it in a smaller deli cup with a dry paper towel and dried it out. It took maybe 2 weeks to clear up but it worked and I havent had any recourences yet. It actually just molted today for the second time since then. I keep it prett moist too.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are parasitic mites. You need predatory mites. There are allot of old threads about these irritating mites and how to get rid of them, or at least, drastically cut their numbers down on your pedes. I caught some pedes that happened to have some predatory mites on them and the good mites are in all my containers now. You wouldn't need very many. They breed pretty fast, but I've noticed the good mites haven't breed out of control in my containers. I had problems with those bad mites for years. I used to try to get rid of the good mites too because I didn't know what they were. This site helped me clear that up.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The mites- good and bad...Im assuming they stay on the millipede and away from me right?

Big creepy crawlies I can handle...small ones in large numbers make me cringe :(

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea, you can think of them as arthropod ticks (bad mites) instead of mammal ticks. Not really ticks though... Also, I used to put infested bugs on plastic with no sub but it didn't work. I tried that for months. I also have one T that has them and it's never been on substrate. I've had it for about 2 years and it rarely gets a misting. Probably got them from fungus gnats or infested crix from the pet stores. But I have seen them get worse with allot of moisture around. The predatory mites are the only thing that I've seen take care of them.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you too lazy or just too rude to do a search? I've posted info on grain mites numerous times.
"those are grain mites".... number of words = 4

"no, they are not"... number of words = 4

i will grant you did type less letters your way :D

all i'm saying is.... which is more useful? i just expected that since every third post of yours i read essentially tells ppl to buy your book that is where you were heading with this one. my bad.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, it' would take me allot of time to look through all the threads and posts to get the answer to this question, esp. with my crappy dialup. My question is ....do these mites, at this stage, cause any damage? Do they do damage to the exoskeleton? When I scrape them off, It looks like I see some pitting where they used to be.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
They don't cause direct damage, however, the conditions spawning excessive mites can kill the centipede. Change the substrate and use fewer or smaller prey items. The mites are feeding on the excess food (parasitic mites don't feed on anything but the centipede's blood in the polyp stage, don't live in the substrate and can't be controlled by husbandry).

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
"those are grain mites".... number of words = 4

"no, they are not"... number of words = 4

i will grant you did type less letters your way :D

all i'm saying is.... which is more useful? i just expected that since every third post of yours i read essentially tells ppl to buy your book that is where you were heading with this one. my bad.
I've given the info in many posts on arachnoboards including very current threads that don‘t need to be searched through archives. Is there some way you'll stop writing foul and rude remarks? Responding to your nasty comments is like arguing with a two-year-old. It's ridiculous, but is it better to let the two-year-old run around cursing and breaking things?

Your mom's a <expletive deleted at staff's request

Last edited:

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whatever the case I hope you can get rid of them. Maybe powder and substrate removal:? /w a water dish would do the trick. Shes an awsome looking pede btw good luck man

Last edited:

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there was a thread befor about a guy who(and if he's on here please respond because he was good at this) would put the pede in water...i know that sounds crazy but he said it would work to get rid of mites...pretty much just drowning them...

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
there was a thread befor about a guy who(and if he's on here please respond because he was good at this) would put the pede in water...i know that sounds crazy but he said it would work to get rid of mites...pretty much just drowning them...
i've never heard of that before..water doesn't get inside the spiracles?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've never heard of that before..water doesn't get inside the spiracles?
galapoheros does it. i imagine water could get in there, as they can't seal them up all the way like some scorps can.

they uh... just sort of get over drowning. never tried it myself, though

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats pretty much what it was...he kinda drowned them...weird sounding i know but it seems to work...i just think its better for him to fully explain it