Mites on Isopods culture / T's lings

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Looks like Dermanyssidae. They are predator (parasitic) mites usually infesting rodents and birds. Most of the family require hemoglobin bearing blood to reproduce so aren't likely to attack invertebrates. They could be problematic to domestic animals and humans. It all depends on which species and you will probably need to get an experienced vet or entomologist to put one under the microscope to determine which it is.

I'd suggest caution. Isolate the containment and poison it, then go on a mite hunt and pay attention to you or your animals itching or developing red patches on the skin. The reason is you may have other mites as well, that are much harder to see and can be seriously problematic. Scabies sarcoptes and demodex are often transmitted by the same hosts.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Something those videos demonstrate very clearly is how mite infestations can spread so fast. A bird pecking at a road kill is enough for dozens of mites to swarm to a new host. The mites then swarm to the host's mate and offspring and to nearby communal foraging areas.

AMp1995

Arachnopeon
Today i checked the cultures, there much less mites now, in some i cant even see one , no idea whats happened.

The Snark

Old Timer
Feed or die off species, or seasonal and have gone dormant.