Mites on eaten dubia?

maysin

Arachnopeon
I have a brachypelma boehmei, and it used to spend a lot of its time in it's burrow. I noticed that once it was done eating a dubia that I fed it a week ago, it burried the leftovers of what was left. I can now see 3 tiny white dots moving around on the dubia parts (it burried it by the side plastic of its enclosure). Would this be mites? If so, should I change out it's substrate? The T has been spending a lot more time above surface the past few days, maybe that might be as to why.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I have a brachypelma boehmei, and it used to spend a lot of its time in it's burrow. I noticed that once it was done eating a dubia that I fed it a week ago, it burried the leftovers of what was left. I can now see 3 tiny white dots moving around on the dubia parts (it burried it by the side plastic of its enclosure). Would this be mites? If so, should I change out it's substrate? The T has been spending a lot more time above surface the past few days, maybe that might be as to why.
Yes it's likely mites. No you don't have to change the substrate. 99.999% of the time mites are completely harmless to the Tarantula.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Remove the bolus and all should be fine. No need to change out the substrate.

Danzog

Arachnosquire
Yes, mites. Remove bolus and mites if possible. Being a desert species should mitigate an explosion.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
If your substrate is very moist, you could let it dry out a bit, especially since it is a dry species. Over all they are not an issue though.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Without pics we can't really say for sure, could be springtails or mites, neither are particularly harmful (both feed on decaying organic matter).

Mites are a minor nuisance, pick out the bolus and/or dry out the enclosure, there is no need to dump the sub and/or deep clean the enclosure or anything that extreme.

maysin

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the replies, good to know the T isnt in any harm.
If your substrate is very moist, you could let it dry out a bit, especially since it is a dry species. Over all they are not an issue though.
The substrate is bone dry besides a little section where I have a water dish.
Without pics we can't really say for sure, could be springtails or mites, neither are particularly harmful (both feed on decaying organic matter).

Mites are a minor nuisance, pick out the bolus and/or dry out the enclosure, there is no need to dump the sub and/or deep clean the enclosure or anything that extreme.
The bolus is deep in it's burrow, it burried it practicaly at the bottom. I will keep a lookout for any others that it will leave in the future, though.