Mites! No Worries Just Venting...

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mites.

Hate them.

Female H. lividium has a few hitchhikers on her chelicerae and around pedipalps so getting ready to re-house her in a temp enclosure w/ paper towels to let them desiccate off after she's done feeding and grooming. I'm sure they are purely optimistic and not parasitic as they don't attach to her but are free roaming.

I've been really lucky though and this is the first bad experience I've had but I'm totally at fault by using a bit too much moisture as it's been dreadfully dry her the past month and just raining a whee bit today after nearly 4 weeks!

Been reading posts on treatments so I think I've got the good plan but thought I would ask. No explosion as of yet but I don't intend for it to get any worse as there are only a few (< 12) that I can visible see but I'm sure the substrate is loaded with eggs and/or others.

Oh well.. again my fault and taking measures to rectify. Any other horror and/or success stories to share?

Cheers,

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know what you are going through.. :wall: I recently bought some crickets.. Wanted to let my roaches replinish... Yeah.. Dumb mistake.. Now.. I have mites... I cant do nothing about them right now..

I am about to be moving the critters into a diff. room of the house.. So.. I am going to relocate one at a time.. Mite (pun intended) take a few days to get them all back in the same room together.. But.. It needs to be done..

The way I do it.. I pull the spider out of the enclosure.. Put it in a deli cup with tissue.. Put the enclosure (that does not have the spider in it) in the freezer.. When it thaws out.. No mites..

Its better than baking IME... I have not seen any mites in my enclosures or on my T's after freezing....

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Freezing sounds logical but I'm sure not as easily done for most depending on the size of enclosure/etc.

My girl was due a cleaning and re-vamp of her enclosure so it's all good in the end I hope. This is the first time I've had them in large enough numbers to even worry, if, there is even a reason to worry. Checking on her now she's grooming after her roach meal and at this point the mites seem non-existent. Talk about opportunistic little buggers!

I figure I'll deli/shoe box her on dry paper towels with a water dish and keep her in the dark for a day or 3 and rebuild w/ fresh substrate and cork. She doesn't burrow as she should and I tend to make her a suitable shelter w/ cork buried in the substrate but maybe this time I'll give her another shot and start a burrow and see how she progresses.

Hang in there Tommy cause anyone who's had mites, and we all do to some extent, knows it's just a pain in most cases and harmful or risky to the T or ourselves unless way out of control. Wish ya luck my brother on your cleanup adventure!