[Mites] Just a few lightish brown..

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Just a few lightish brown ones around my P. murinus water dish. Obviously there's more than just what I see, but I'm not seeing tons of them piled together or anything. I see one here and one there pretty close to the water dish. Farthest, and the first one I noticed, was walking the top of her tank.
Now, I've already had my first experience with mites (the same ones) in my G. pulchripes sling enclosure. I had moistened the sub (eco earth/ground coco) enough for it to hold together so she could burrow. Sure enough she went to the very bottom of the enclosure. A week or so later, the mites appeared. Kinda figured they might after noticeing the sub wasn't drying as I expected it to.. Being rather safe than sorry (sling and all) and knowing the sub wasn't going to dry out fast enough, I went ahead and threw out that sub and switched her over to a whole new cup with a thinner bed of sub with some moss to hide under. Keeping everything dry this go round.. Just not worth it.
ANYWAYS.
I assume this one is because I have a tendency to accidentally over flow her water dish, pouring it in from the top instead of closer. She's made a chamber out of moss in the corner and webbed heavy against the glass so I can't see in. She hasn't come out of it since she made it a few weeks ago, though I'm 99.9% certain she's not in premolt as she molted relatively recently and has been eating recently as well. Point is, I can't check her to see if any are on her. Now, I've read that the mites you generally have to worry about hurting your T are light or even translucent? I don't want any type mites, obviously, but I also sure don't want to try getting her out of her corner for a small mite problem that will most likely not only not harm her, but will probably go away rather quickly if I just let that spot dry out thoroughly. Just really wanted to get your all's opinions on if that would be ok or if I should just go ahead and dig her out? I know she's not gonna be happy about that, and I hate to destroy this beautiful hide she's made if I can help it. I'm absolutely in love with it. Atleast I have this cool hide to look at when my orange beauty isn't out. That being said, her health does still come first.

Also sorry for the long post. Wanted to make sure you all know what I'm aware of and what my previous experience with mites are. I tried a search before this as well and could only find posts on the light ones or posts just saying to scrub everything.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
As long as you let it completely dry out for a few weeks. Do you have any pics of the enclosure or of the mites? May help in identification. Like you said, may not be the best idea to completely rehouse such a defensive species like an OBT for a mite problem that could be fine :)

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Enclosure, yes.
Mites, no.

Don't have a good enough camera, sadly.

image.jpeg The spot in question.
I know boluses left in can be a cause as well. Problem with that is that she takes her prey in her corner.. Though she's pretty plump so I haven't given her anything for a good week, almost two.

Last edited: