Mites in my two scorpion enclosures?!

SaRose

Arachnopeon
I just noticed tonight when I went to go check for left over pieces of cricket carcasses and I noticed this tiny little white bugs crawling all around my Asian Forest scorpions enclosure. Checked in my Emperor’s enclosure and he’s got some in there too. What do I do? And will these bugs go anywhere else in my house?
Thanks,
Sarah H.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
They might be mites, springtails or dust lice. Without pictures or detailed description, we can’t say which one. It is likely harmless, there is only a handfull of mite species that can be harmful to a scorpion. Pictures would be helpful though, to make sure.

SaRose

Arachnopeon
They might be mites, springtails or dust lice. Without pictures or detailed description, we can’t say which one. It is likely harmless, there is only a handfull of mite species that can be harmful to a scorpion. Pictures would be helpful though, to make sure.
I will try to get a picture later tonight. They are so tiny though it might be hard lol. I looked again tonight and I don’t see as many. I didn’t spray down the enclosures and I’m going to let them dry out. I haven’t cleaned out their terrariums and put new substrate in awhile so I’m going to do that hopefully over the weekend and I’m hoping that will help. I have some real wood in one of the scorpions enclosure and I’m thinking I’ll get rid of that and just get some stuff from the pet store that he can hide under. I’m sort of new at having to care for these invertebrates. My husband passed away last year and he was into the hobby and was the one that mostly cared for them. I did learn a lot from him though. I’ve also only seen a few crawling on my scorpions so I don’t think it’s too out of control. Although last night I did notice a bunch of them under my scorpions hide but I think it’s because he had just fed on some crickets a couple days ago and there could just be tiny little pieces left over under there.

thanks for the reply and thanks for listening to my rant. 🙂
Appreciate it!

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
So sorry to hear about you husband :( . My condolences!

Although a picture would help, a description might be enough if you can’t get them on camera.
Most importantly shape (round or elongated), color and movement (speed and pattern).

SaRose

Arachnopeon
I’m awesome! I’m gonna really have a look later and identify those things. Thank you! I’ll see if I can find something to magnify them.
Thank you for the condolences 🙂

SaRose

Arachnopeon
I’m awesome! I’m gonna really have a look later and identify those things. Thank you! I’ll see if I can find something to magnify them.
Thank you for the condolences 🙂
im awesome haha

*Ok awesome!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
If they are sort of long like extremely tiny grains of rice, they'll be springtails, which are excellent clean-up crew and never a cause for concern. If they're more round they are likely grain mites, which won't directly harm your scorpions, but can stress them out if their population explodes. The best way to control mites is to keep the enclosure clean - pluck out any dead prey parts you find promptly. you can also dry out the substrate surface a bit to reduce the mite numbers, but obviously your scorpions need moisture, so you don't want to dry them out too much or for too long.

SaRose

Arachnopeon
If they are sort of long like extremely tiny grains of rice, they'll be springtails, which are excellent clean-up crew and never a cause for concern. If they're more round they are likely grain mites, which won't directly harm your scorpions, but can stress them out if their population explodes. The best way to control mites is to keep the enclosure clean - pluck out any dead prey parts you find promptly. you can also dry out the substrate surface a bit to reduce the mite numbers, but obviously your scorpions need moisture, so you don't want to dry them out too much or for too long.
Ok ya they are definitely round....so from what you're saying and from the research I've done it does seem like they are grain mites. I will make sure not to let them dry out for too long. Thank you for the advice, it helps a lot!

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I will try to get a picture later tonight. They are so tiny though it might be hard lol. I looked again tonight and I don’t see as many. I didn’t spray down the enclosures and I’m going to let them dry out. I haven’t cleaned out their terrariums and put new substrate in awhile so I’m going to do that hopefully over the weekend and I’m hoping that will help. I have some real wood in one of the scorpions enclosure and I’m thinking I’ll get rid of that and just get some stuff from the pet store that he can hide under. I’m sort of new at having to care for these invertebrates. My husband passed away last year and he was into the hobby and was the one that mostly cared for them. I did learn a lot from him though. I’ve also only seen a few crawling on my scorpions so I don’t think it’s too out of control. Although last night I did notice a bunch of them under my scorpions hide but I think it’s because he had just fed on some crickets a couple days ago and there could just be tiny little pieces left over under there.

thanks for the reply and thanks for listening to my rant. 🙂
Appreciate it!
This is really cool. I know a lot of partners that would just get rid of the collection instead of keeping them. It's a neat way to honor his memory.

I +1 on the "I'm awesome " mistaken comment. Hope you'll stick around.

SaRose

Arachnopeon
This is really cool. I know a lot of partners that would just get rid of the collection instead of keeping them. It's a neat way to honor his memory.

I +1 on the "I'm awesome " mistaken comment. Hope you'll stick around.
Thank you, I agree! I know he is on the other side all happy and proud that I am taking care of his scorps! I couldn’t part from them. It makes me feel closer to him. I’m also so use to having them around for the last 8 years that I’ve come to appreciate them! Also weird thing is I could barely hold them when he was alive but now that he’s passed to the other side....I can hold them no problem lol 🤷🏻‍♀️

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
There are many options to get rid of or decrease the population of mites. Rehousing, letting the enclosure dry out, or leaving a prekilled prey item near the enclosure for 12 or so hours. You could also leave a piece of carrot or something in there that they will attract to and then remove it. Typically they aren’t dangerous and are actually helpful, like springtails or isopods, in cleaning up. You just don’t want to allow the population to explode.

SaRose

Arachnopeon
There are many options to get rid of or decrease the population of mites. Rehousing, letting the enclosure dry out, or leaving a prekilled prey item near the enclosure for 12 or so hours. You could also leave a piece of carrot or something in there that they will attract to and then remove it. Typically they aren’t dangerous and are actually helpful, like springtails or isopods, in cleaning up. You just don’t want to allow the population to explode.
Thank you so much! Those are great helpful tips!

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I would add predatory mites. They will eat all of the mites and then eat each other. It's "resetting" the microfauna and should get rid of all the grain mites.