Mites in isopod enclosure (update)

Robolover

Arachnopeon
So my isopods are very much thriving as far as I can tell in my enclosure. There's tons of babies of different sizes along with the adults in it right now.

But I'm still a bit worried about the mites in it. The isopods don't seem to care about them, but there's so many on the soil ans moss whenever I open the lid.

I know the pictures not very good, but can anyone tell if these are just grain mites? They're kind of a light brownish.
If asked I can try to get better pics-

Attachments

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Those are predatory mites, Stratiolaelaps scimitus (AKA Hypoaspis miles). Harmless to even the smallest of isopods, but they do eat other mites, springtails and fungus gnats, so in my opinion they are quite beneficial. They are pretty common in insect cultures in the hobby.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Those are predatory mites, Stratiolaelaps scimitus (AKA Hypoaspis miles). Harmless to even the smallest of isopods, but they do eat other mites, springtails and fungus gnats, so in my opinion they are quite beneficial. They are pretty common in insect cultures in the hobby.
well apparently i stand corrected :D

Robolover

Arachnopeon
Hi! Just to be safe, I got some hopefully better pictures. I have noticed a lack of the springtails I put in the enclosure though, but I figured they were under the dirt.
Sorry they're so blurry, hard to take pics of something so tiny and constantly moving haha

Attachments

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Hi! Just to be safe, I got some hopefully better pictures. I have noticed a lack of the springtails I put in the enclosure though, but I figured they were under the dirt.
Sorry they're so blurry, hard to take pics of something so tiny and constantly moving haha
Yeah, definitely looks like predatory mites to me. They can decimate springtail cultures but have a hard time killing hardy springs off completely.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
It's a mesostigmatid, I'll give you that, but I would avoid trying to pin anything lower than a family on this. Theres too much diversity to even attempt assigning a species.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
It's a mesostigmatid, I'll give you that, but I would avoid trying to pin anything lower than a family on this. Theres too much diversity to even attempt assigning a species.
S.scimitus is the most commonly encountered species in the hobby though, cosmopolitan due to their use as pest control and lots of vendors have them in their collection, they get sent with the isopods or other inverts people buy from them, etc., just the most likely choice. Given the size and color I'd be surprised if it were a different species TBH, but I will acknowledge that it could possibly be a different species of predatory mite, (same effect on isopods though, harmless and will eat other pests).