Mites. Help!

meloddipedes

Arachnopeon
I have no idea what to do about these. help! I have no access to new subtrate until next week since I order mine offline. PhotoGrid_1479880346231.png

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Just heat treat it. Even if you make your own or buy an other batch you're most likely to get them again. Use the microwave in the house and then light incense when your done. If not you can buy a used microwave on craigslist and use it outside.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Are they on the millipedes or just crawling over them? I agree, they are hard to exclude, you just have to learn how to manage them. I have some that are teardrop shaped that I think are predatory mites. They would be ok but they reproduce too fast. I added springtails but they out compete them. I have a clip on light that I use to monitor my set ups. Those predatory mites don't like it. They crawl up the sides of the enclosures when the light is turned on them. I use the back a plastic spoon and smash them. :astonished: You can hear them pop. It is masochistically satisfying. Then I wipe the sides down with an alcohol wipe. I know I won't eradicate them, but it helps to keep their numbers down. I have time to do things like that. I hope others share ways to manage them.

I am always afraid if I heat treat them, that I will overlook millipede eggs. I have taken soil and spread it on a cookie sheet and baked it. My oven has a drawfan built in so I don't get much smell in the house. Definitely a summer job so you can open your windows.

Good luck, I know this is the frustrating side to millilove.

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Grain Mite or Predatory.jpg I know this is a horrible photo, but this is the new mite I have. I am pretty sure it is a predatory mite. This is a smashed one; that is his head above him. :astonished: I have a new digital microscope, I hope I have time to learn to use it soon.... I should be able to get some clear photos of these critters. :watchingyou:

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
Just heat treat it. Even if you make your own or buy an other batch you're most likely to get them again. Use the microwave in the house and then light incense when your done. If not you can buy a used microwave on craigslist and use it outside.
Yes, Don't forget the incense. I found the smell of baked substrate unpleasant to say the least