Mites between fangs?

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I gave my A. versicolor sling a mealmorm and when it started munching, it spread its fangs really wide and i noticed 2 white round specs.

20161225_211507.jpg

I keep it dry with waterdish, never noticed mites in the enclosure.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Is it a recent purchase? They could've come with the T from wherever you bought it from. This goes for feeders too. Keep an eye on him/her and hopefully they don't multiply. There are lots of methods for removing individual mites from your T but I'm not sure about the mouth area.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
nope the T is not a recent purchase, and I have the mealworms in my fridge for months. the Ts butt is already fat and I expect it to go into premolt soon.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see three spots, but not definitive on what they are. Is it possible for you to wipe them off with a q-tip?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I'm not 100% sure on molts clearing the spider of mites but I'd assume the molt would take care of them if it's only a few. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
I'm probably the biggest worrier in this forum when it comes to mites. But I'm learning that they're pretty unavoidable in small numbers and simple cage maintenance with proper ventilation is what keeps their numbers from exploding and causing real problems.
My biggest concern though are feeders carrying them.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I see three spots, but not definitive on what they are. Is it possible for you to wipe them off with a q-tip?

No its too deep, and its eating. This is the first time I have gotten a good look since the fangs are spread so wide. I have fed a few slings mealworms for the first time since last week. I don't know if the mites came from them.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I only see 2 dots which could be mites. Just on top of the chelicerae.

Mites are quite comon in this area. In this case I doubt it is a problem as there are only 2. I dont think they are mites anyway, more probably reflextion of parts around the eyes.

If it is the white parts lower down in the middle that you are worried about then dont. This is just the inside of mouthparts that lead to stomach organs.

Last edited:

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Its the mouthpart indeed, weird, it looked perfectly round white, and not in the center of the mouth. That worried me.