Mites.... augh.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, I went to snag a cricket from my H. lividum's cage that she didn't want, and I noticed... a black beetle under her water dish. And around that, tiny white things... Mites.

So I immediately evacuated her into a temp house while I scrounge up some cash to get some fresh substrate, and toss the KK plus mite infested substrate outside.

Does moisture attract them, or something? 'Cause the only place I saw them was around the water dish.

Athena wasn't thrilled, and I know I sure as heck wasn't.

My friend took the beetle to see what kind it is, so I have no pics, but it just looked like... well, a black beetle. Where the hell did it come from?

Rage.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you ever fed your H. lividum mealworms? It could be the adult form of one of those.

And yes, mites are attracted to the moisture. I usually don't worry about getting rid of everything if I see them starting to crop up. what I usually do is just let everything dry out, it's only if they don't dissapear then that I think about changing out the enclosure. I'm trying to figure out how to balance keeping the enclosure humid but not so humid it attacts mites. It would help if I could use isopods but my Ts just eat them...

That's something to consider though, you could try adding isopods to the enclosure, it might help.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you ever fed your H. lividum mealworms? It could be the adult form of one of those.

And yes, mites are attracted to the moisture. I usually don't worry about getting rid of everything if I see them starting to crop up. what I usually do is just let everything dry out, it's only if they don't dissapear then that I think about changing out the enclosure. I'm trying to figure out how to balance keeping the enclosure humid but not so humid it attacts mites. It would help if I could use isopods but my Ts just eat them...

That's something to consider though, you could try adding isopods to the enclosure, it might help.
So I guess I overdid it in my panic? :wall:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It doesn't hurt to be over cautious. Don't feel bad the first time it happened to me I did the same exact thing. I changed out everything and I even went as far as soaking the tank in a bleach solution. They hadn't even acctually been mites, just springtails.

but yeah, I've noticed that if you just let it dry out a bit they usually go away.