Mite killing shelf paper?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Has anyone heard of shelf paper that specifically kills mites? I was talking to a girl who said she works in a lab with fruit flies and they use shelf liner that kills mites and bugs. She sent me the link http://www.silkwormshop.com/buyfruitflies/agora.cgi?product=antimite She said it works to keep mites away from their fruit flies. Has anyone tried this for their tarantulas or other animals mites can be harmful to?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like a really bad idea putting insecticide of any kind around your Ts. Mites are arachnids too.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Wow, my first two assumptions were dead wrong.

From the title alone, I thought you had taught your mites to make amazing shelf paper: "Your mites are killing it at shelf paper making!"

Seemed a bit far fetched, so as I clicked the actual post, I figured you'd found out that shelf paper makes terrific food for your mite colony: "The first shelf paper I tried wasn't successful, but they are killing this new shelf paper!"

I would take ant killing/stopping shelf paper, but that's just "installed upside down" shelf paper...

I agree with above responses, and will add searching for the source of your mites. If they are MORE attracted to something you don't want (your colonies), then bait them elsewhere (their doom).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Wouldn't you think it would bother the fruit flies too?
Flies aren't arachnids. Ever notice how some pesticides are geared towards arachnids, and others towards insects? What's deadly to one can be harmless to the other. Nearly anything that will kill mites will bring harm to your spiders.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it kills by contact only, it should be fine. If molecules drift off it and into your Ts container, all sorts of issues may result. This is the reason I haven't tried it yet :(:sorry:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, who'd like to run this experiment?
Good question. Honestly, someone should do the experiment with a species the hobby has PLENTY of, such as Rose Hairs etc. Large sacs, prolific breeders etc. Raise them up on it during entire life cycle.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I wasn't saying I was going to use it. I had just never heard of it before and wondered if anyone else had, and if they had used it.