Mite explosion? Kinda scared for my spider room

Danji Isthmus

Arachnopeon
I hope I'm posting this in the right category. I've been having a bad time picking the right ones (sorry mods)

But my Thanatus vulgaris that I acquired in a cricket order (that I buy for my reptiles as a weekly treat, that is probably stopping now) just seemed to... get devoured by what I think are mites?

Should I be afraid of this or doing something in my spider room to check for mites? I only opened the enclosure to drop in food or mist her, and she was guarding an eggsac for quite awhile(the eggsac was also covered in what I thought were mites).

I wasn't willing to open the container so this is the best shot I was able to get.

Thanks for any insight

WIN_20210412_18_20_45_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is not good at all. It reminds me of ticks, and not the typical grain mites. Typical grain mites those are not, they are super tiny less than 1 mm in size.

Danji Isthmus

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. I'm gunna do a massive cleanup. I seem to be having a time with odd tragedies

Danji Isthmus

Arachnopeon
That is not good at all. It reminds me of ticks, and not the typical grain mites. Typical grain mites those are not, they are super tiny less than 1 mm in size.
I will note that this was taken with a microscope camera, the little creatures are definitely smaller than 1mm. I honestly thought they were growths until I got out the microscope and saw they had teeny tiny legs

BUT I will take the cautious route and clean up

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Keep in mind newborn mites can be light enough to go airborne. A sneeze can send them flying all over the room. A natural method of dispersal.