Misting

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Light misting is not terribly effective because it dries out very quickly, as opposed to a decent-sized water dish that will provide both drinking water and humidity for a few days or a good soaking of the substrate that also provides ongoing humidity. That said, I mist - sort of. I use a pump sprayer to fill water dishes, soak substrate, and/or mist the sides of the tanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why no misting?

Ineffective or some inherent problem?
You can't predict when a T will drink, bowl is better. Misting is almost useless. Avics will drink from misting, and many will stop drinking from dish for unknown reason/s, so I'm forced to mist at times for my Avics.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Basically because it serves almost no purpose other than to annoy your T and kick up urticating hairs (because pressurised water/air in a confined space), using a pipette to place droplets on webbing or overflowing the water dish/pouring water directly into the substrate is much more effective and less stressful for the T.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I only mist my small slings. Anything approaching 1" gets a water dish, but smaller spiders are too much of a hassle to maintain a water dish IMO. So they get misting for drinking water.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I only mist my small slings. Anything approaching 1" gets a water dish, but smaller spiders are too much of a hassle to maintain a water dish IMO. So they get misting for drinking water.
Yeah all of my terrestrial slings dump their water dish within hours of filling it up, the struggle is real with the water dish. So I usually mist near where the water dish it sits when I fill it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ineffective mainly. just pouring water on the substrate is much more effective. it also pisses off some spiders. i mist my avics here and there after molts as well though.