Misting?

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Should I mist an Avicularia Avicularia and if so how often and much ?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Misting isn't really necessary as long as there is a full water dish, although adding drops of water high up in its web canopy is a good idea especially after a molt

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I never mist anything it doesn't do much for sustained humidity, and avic avic dont require any special humidity parameters. Just a good ol water dish as stated. And once it has the web developed droplets can be offered directly onto the web itself since your avic will probably spend 95% of its time up there.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I got in the habit of spraying the side of my aboreal enclosures. I always keep a water dish, but do mist the sides of their enclosures. it's not necessary, since many members keep these t's without misting. Had my pink toes for two years and I think they expect the extra moisture lol.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
My P. met is my only T that seems to appreciate a good misting. She completly ignores her water dish (always clean/fresh/full) but is all too happy to come vaccune up the droplemts on the top/sides when i mist once a week

SFay00

Arachnopeon
Thankyou, I will own my first Avicularia Avicularia as of today, very excited to have an arboreal T :)

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Misting the cage is only really nessesary if your Avic is really old and on its downfall (mostly MMs) because they have more issues keeping hydrated but as long as it's healthy then you don't have to worry about misting.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Should I mist an Avicularia Avicularia and if so how often and much ?
I disagree with some of the people above who wrote it's not needed.

I've owned and raised Avics for many years. While I generally tell people "misting is for plants not tarantulas" IME with Avics this is not always true for some reason. I provide them all a water dish for them to drink out of. However for reasons unknown to me sometimes they "forget" for lack of a better word that fresh water is available. Yet if I mist them or add water, they readily drink from web canopy or container sides. I suggest if you are going to manually add water to apply w/a syringe and not to mist them. Primarily because misting freaks them out, and the droplets are small. Most of it will evaporate before the T can use it. But if you are able to put nice large droplets in the Avic canopy, that will last longer. Sometimes if the canopy is thick enough you can form a small pool of water which they will readily drink from.

Sometimes they simply won't drink from the dish, or are sporadic about its use. I have 2 juvi Avics (2-4") that always use their dish typically, however there have been times where they don't and I must apply water to web canopy with a blunt needle and syringe.

If you are getting a SLING, the best way to keep your Avic hydrated is feeding it a lot and often! Keep their abdomen's plump and provide sufficient ventilation for them.

They key to knowing when is by constantly evaluating their abdominal size and activity level IME.

I've seen some Avics not eat, didn't drink from their bowl but after drinking readily take a cricket after a day or two.

I STRONGLY suggest you read up on Avics before you own one. They are not as easy as they typical terrestrial.

Read this reply, questions, ask back here http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
"Misting" is fine if you're doing it to provide some water droplets on the webbing or side/top of the enclosure for drinking occasionally. But if you're doing it for humidity reasons it's a waste of time as it evaporates too quickly to be of any use...for that just stick with a nice big water dish for avics.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"Misting" is fine if you're doing it to provide some water droplets on the webbing or side/top of the enclosure for drinking occasionally. But if you're doing it for humidity reasons it's a waste of time as it evaporates too quickly to be of any use...for that just stick with a nice big water dish for avics.
Smart point, as the OP didn't specify.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I prefer to use a syringe so that I can place one or more strategic water drops in the web tunnel for my Avic's. A water drop will likely not dry up as fast as misting, but may not be found as easy if you don't put it in the T's path. The other problem on misting is preventing a spray on the T itself which may make it unhappy.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The only "misting" I accept is when a sexy and naked two legged 0.1 deliver a 'golden rain' on mine. For the rest, there's the water dish, or pour gently with a pipette drops of water.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I disagree with some of the people above who wrote it's not needed.

I've owned and raised Avics for many years. While I generally tell people "misting is for plants not tarantulas" IME with Avics this is not always true for some reason. I provide them all a water dish for them to drink out of. However for reasons unknown to me sometimes they "forget" for lack of a better word that fresh water is available. Yet if I mist them or add water, they readily drink from web canopy or container sides. I suggest if you are going to manually add water to apply w/a syringe and not to mist them. Primarily because misting freaks them out, and the droplets are small. Most of it will evaporate before the T can use it. But if you are able to put nice large droplets in the Avic canopy, that will last longer. Sometimes if the canopy is thick enough you can form a small pool of water which they will readily drink from.

Sometimes they simply won't drink from the dish, or are sporadic about its use. I have 2 juvi Avics (2-4") that always use their dish typically, however there have been times where they don't and I must apply water to web canopy with a blunt needle and syringe.

If you are getting a SLING, the best way to keep your Avic hydrated is feeding it a lot and often! Keep their abdomen's plump and provide sufficient ventilation for them.

They key to knowing when is by constantly evaluating their abdominal size and activity level IME.

I've seen some Avics not eat, didn't drink from their bowl but after drinking readily take a cricket after a day or two.

I STRONGLY suggest you read up on Avics before you own one. They are not as easy as they typical terrestrial.

Read this reply, questions, ask back here http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399
I hate quoting people and just saying +1 or same here but +1and same here..

This is how I take care of my Avics for all of the reasons viper has described.. All of mine do great and I'm working on breeding three different species.

A good rule of thumb for misting Avics and really any species that is known to prefer drinking from glass or webbing is this.. If you misted it and think Oh that's not enough it's actually perfect.. If you misted it and think thats perfect you most likely misted it too much ;)..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I mist my juvenile arboreals every week. I also mist my Avics once a week.

When you have heaters and fans on all day their enclosures can dry out fast. It depends a lot on conditions where you live I guess, and the conditions in your home.

Although it may not me needed, it doesnt mean that more tropical species don't appreciate it.

I suppose It depends on what amount of mistinng you do and where.