Misting my cage

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
Everytime I mist my scrops cage I seem to scare him a few times. I always think that when it comes time to pick him up he will be agressive.

When they flinch like that do you think its anything bad?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its normal.....just like if a human was chillin outside on a nice day then out of nowhere it started pouring, you would react to it:)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you are needing to increase the humidity pouring water directly on the substrate will work much better. Misting will evaporate very quickly

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are needing to increase the humidity pouring water directly on the substrate will work much better. Misting will evaporate very quickly
true, just make sure the substrait isnt soaked/water loged. If your gonna go that route then why not set up a false bottom and get it done right?

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
im planning to get a false bottom but later on maybe. i just got new bedding i dont want to waste it

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can easily put in a bag to keep it while you do your set up. A false bottom works mirracles I have never sprayed or misted my tank since. It's been almost a year and I have only poured water down my pipe once and it's still as moist as ever. Hey you don't live that far if you ever want me to do it for you I will. Or we can swap tanks I have an extra 10 gallon I could set it up and we swap.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can easily put in a bag to keep it while you do your set up. A false bottom works mirracles I have never sprayed or misted my tank since. It's been almost a year and I have only poured water down my pipe once and it's still as moist as ever.
yea just put the substrait in a bucket or something while your adding the false bottom, you will save your self alot of time used by misting and your scorps will be much happier. Dont worry about stressing your scorp by moving it, its no big deal for a enclosure change

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have an undertank heater under my tank, will that cause problems if i want to add a false bottom?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have an undertank heater under my tank, will that cause problems if i want to add a false bottom?
The only foreseeable problem is this scenario... "your water dries up over a few months, you finally notice it is gone and decide to add more, the glass is now very hot from the UTH and the water cracks the glass"

But as mentioned by "JungleGuts" go with an IR (red) bulb, or if you must at least put the UTH on the side. (there are reasons for this)

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
indeed, one reason is the emp will naturally burrow tword heat, and may cook itself. You will find almost no one recommends heat pads for emps...if a petstore told you otherwise there wrong.,

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
I was told to get a heat pad but i put it on the side of my tank and it doesn't get that hot anyway becuase the pad is for a little tank (5g)

but I plan on getting a heat lamp this weekend

should I unplug my heat pad?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, a heat pad works great I think Jungle might be mistaken for putting it on the bottom. It's not recomended that you put in the bottom because the emp will burrow to escape the heat only to fry itself. All my tanks have a heat pad on the side. Altough a 5g heat pad doesnt work very well for anything bigger than that.

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was told to get a heat pad but i put it on the side of my tank and it doesn't get that hot anyway becuase the pad is for a little tank (5g)

but I plan on getting a heat lamp this weekend

should I unplug my heat pad?
oh i thought i remembering you having it on the bottom..my bad