Mist or Water dish?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are the two enclosures that my .75 - 1" singpore blues are in..my question is this should i throw in a small water dish or will they drink it off the sides of the walls:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For you water dish. Misting, as the only form of water only works if you know tarantulas every well. If you do not then you are in trouble.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, for tiny T's under 3", you want to mist. If you put a water dish in there, they might drown in it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, for tiny T's under 3", you want to mist. If you put a water dish in there, they might drown in it.
I still have yet to see a T that drowned in a bottle cap. :rolleyes:

But I agree with Dark, if you dont know the species yet and cant tell when its in trouble, a dish of some sort is a better option.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Also, they are arboreal tarantulas, you may want to put a piece of corkbark or something of the like for them to climb on, hide behind and attach web to.
I mist most of my arboreals, adults and slings, only one of them has a water dish.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In 20+ year I have never see or heard of a tarantula drowning. I'm going to do a search and see if anyone here actually had a tarantula drown.
I have never heard of that happening either, but every forum I have visited or every T book I have read suggests not putting a water bowl in the cage until the T is at least 3".

For me, it isnt worth the risk.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In 20+ year I have never see or heard of a tarantula drowning. I'm going to do a search and see if anyone here actually had a tarantula drown.
My search came up with nadda. And I looked for over an hour. Even if you dropped a sling in the middle of a bowl of water its not going to say " oh well I give up" its going to glide on out of the bowl. Or more accuratley teleport out of the water if it does not want to be there.

But I did keep finding people saying dont use one till they are 2.5-3" or bigger. Why I dont know. Proberly one of those it sounds good pieces of advice, so everyone does it without caring or asking why.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've dropped B. albopilosum and obt slings into water a number of times. they just sort of swim/walk until they hit structure and then haul themselves out of the water

i don't use water dishes until the slings are bigger simply because there is no way and no point when a sling is in a vial.

incidentily, scorps dropped into water kind of sink and some seem to sort of give up and some seem to try to walk on the bottom. i would be MUCH more inclined to worry about scorps drowning than taras

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mist

mist little slings, every few days a small amount, so the enclosure never dries out