Missing Tarantula

Taylorpenguin

Arachnopeon
Hey
My tarantula has some how escaped from its enclosure... does anyone have any tips on how to find her??

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
What species and how large?

If arboreal check curtains. If terrestrial check shoes and tight dark spaces at floor level.

If all else fails then rip your house to shreds.

An escapee is always tricky to find.

Taylorpenguin

Arachnopeon
What species and how large?

If arboreal check curtains. If terrestrial check shoes and tight dark spaces at floor level.

If all else fails then rip your house to shreds.

An escapee is always tricky to find.

She is an Australian Bird Eating Tarantula and probably about a 10cm leg span...
So best to check lower levels and dark spaces?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A spider that large shouldn't be terribly difficult to find, assuming it hasn't squeezed into the walls or through a window. Just scour the place - especially look in closets, most lost tarantulas seem to end up in the closet for some reason.

Taylorpenguin

Arachnopeon
A spider that large shouldn't be terribly difficult to find, assuming it hasn't squeezed into the walls or through a window. Just scour the place - especially look in closets, most lost tarantulas seem to end up in the closet for some reason.
Okay. Thank you

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
As long as it can't find a way out, just check EVERY room thoroughly, blocking off each as you go, until you find it. What T is it, because an NW will be easier to find then OW most of the time.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
As long as it can't find a way out, just check EVERY room thoroughly, blocking off each as you go, until you find it. What T is it, because an NW will be easier to find then OW most of the time.
a Australian bird eating tarantula. (Pholgius) mean OW.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
a Australian bird eating tarantula. (Pholgius) mean OW.
Oh god.... Welp, time to sell the house ;) To the OP, just look for webbing, I hear they are very heavy webbers. If left for even a night or a few days, should be some webbing in a corner or hole somewhere.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There aren't some sort of insider tricks, IMO it's always, no matter, a question of pure finest luck. Search.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There aren't some sort of insider tricks, IMO it's always, no matter, a question of pure finest luck. Search.
That's about right. Nothing but luck. I've only ever seen one person on this forum find a tarantula after actually looking - the rest found the tarantula by simply noticing it in a corner one day after having given up the search. That vast, vast majority never get found.

Also, @Taylorpenguin, is this indeed a Phlogius species? Common names can mean anything. If it's actually a Phlogius, if I were you, I'd be spraying pesticides. Their venom is no joke. If you have a dog or cat, that spider could very likely kill them with a wet bite.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Also, @Taylorpenguin, is this indeed a Phlogius species? Common names can mean anything. If it's actually a Phlogius, if I were you, I'd be spraying pesticides. Their venom is no joke. If you have a dog or cat, that spider could very likely kill them with a wet bite.
Yeah, bit of a solace (if we can talk about solace) is that both the Theraphosidae and the owner are Australian therefore, in the scenario (who knows, at the end?) of a true-from the house-papillon escape, wouldn't harm too much the environment (well, assuming the keeper lives in the country, at least).

But imagine for a moment that Phlogius that, tired of captivity life, crawls in full sunshine, and returns where his/her friends are. Such romantic vision is IMO stronk.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah my B. smithi escaped a while back and I had given up on finding her. Then randomly came across her in the bathroom. Try looking around late at night. And use a red flashlight if you have one.