missing spinneret and unable to web

Bruce

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

How's it going?

I got a A. Geniculata sling (a little over 1" LS) at the AES Kempton Park Show (in the UK) the other day. It was only after I got the little guy home that I noticed he has only got one spinneret! He has tried to web with his one spinneret a few times but I do not think any silk is being produced (the substrate is loose when you pick it up, no visible threads.....). Otherwise he seems fine and is eating a lot.

I have had a few T's regenerate aarious appendages but I have never had a T without a spinneret before. I assume that it has not hindered him in life so far to get to his size from birth but what about when he grows older? And becasue I got him like that, I do not know if this is a congenital defect or an accident that happened to him. I am especially concerned as it seems like his other spinneret cannot produce silk......

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Bruce

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Spinnerets are able to regenerate if lost due to trauma. Congenital defects are not something I am knowledgeable about at all. I would assume you could contact the seller, maybe, if you picked up a business card, and ask. Waiting until a molt sounds good though, at that size it ought to molt frequently. As for producing silk with only one spinneret, I'm not sure about that either. My geniculata hardly webs at all, so maybe you just aren't seeing it.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i wouldnt worry about it if is injury related and you say its eating fine and acting normal it will come back with a molt or two and if its a birth defect its obviously came to cope with it if it made it to the size it is now. I am sure it will be just peachy

Hanes

Arachnosquire
If it's acting normally it should be fine, how was the show btw I wanted to go but couldn't

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not much to worry about. It'll fix itself with a molt or two. A geniculata's aren't much for webbing either, so it shouldn't prevent a happy life for the spider for the next little bit.

Bruce

Arachnopeon
Cheers boys and girls!

Yeah, I had a couple of geniculatas before and they did not web much but at least you could see the web.... fingers-crossed the little guy will be alright and hopefully moult a working set of spinnerets soon!

The AES Kempton Park Show was good, although it seems to me a bit smaller this year with a less diverse range of species. I have been to the show every year since 2004 (except for last year) and I have always had a good time there. A few familiar faces.

Bruce