mislabeled Ts causing problems?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had the same experience. The Petco near me has had about 90% MMs, just avics and roseas. Pretty dissapointing, but what do you expect?
Yeah I know all about that. I've bought one T from petco, it was a rosea, but it had an awesome orange color to it. I also accidentally bought a MM avic, but returned it 2 minutes later when I noticed the hooks. I even told the manager it was a MM and he said "Oh, we don't sell them as males or females, we sell them as tarantulas" :wall:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had the same experience. The Petco near me has had about 90% MMs, just avics and roseas. Pretty dissapointing, but what do you expect?
ours hasn't been too bad. okay enclosures, sort of knowlegable staff. they actually admitted they did not know the gender of their A. avic and that the rosehair i ended up buying was female. and, hey whaddyaknow, 100% moult confirmed female after all.

probably a fluke though :p

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not mislabelled per seh, but they mostly use common names.
And at one of them, they labelled all the G.roses G.cala, which isn't accurate, but it's the same genus at least (same spider IIRC, just G.cala is out of date).

Onagro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My LPS is actually great about ID'ing the T's. However, sometimes they just can't ID an unlabeled sling and offer it up at a massive discount to their regulars.

Given I've picked up a Grand Canyon Black for $5 this way, I'm not complaining{D

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
My local LPS sold me a 5" female P.Cambridgei for $50! she was labled correctly And I could not pass up the deal :). another deal I got was a 6" G.pulchripes male for $30! on another note though they have a 1.5" P. irminia for $200 lmao! sometimes they have good prices but most of the time it is rediculous.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone else ever seen such a horrible mistake in labeling at a LPS?
Yup. But in reptiles rather than arachnids. There was a time years ago when it was pefectly legal to import exotic venomous snakes and sell them in pet shops. I was younger and crazier then and happily took advantage of the situation, buying such things as cobras, puff adders, etc. The problem with this situation was that wholesalers sometimes came up with misidentified snakes and passed them along to local pet shops with incorrect labels. I remember walking into a pet shop in Los Angeles and recognizing a species of rear-fanged snake that had a particularly nasty and sometimes fatal bite - and it was labeled as something completely harmless. (I knew the species well, having captured them in the wild in the tropics and having kept them myself - so I was sure of my identification.) I spoke to one of the employees, and got a reaction similar to the one you described - couldn't care less. I was uncomfortable leaving it like that so I found the manager and explained their mistake. The manager told me bluntly that they trusted their wholesaler and that was that. I wrote the correct species name down and urged them to look it up - but I'm sure they didn't. I was uncomfortable walking away from that, but didn't have much choice. I always wondered what became of the snake and the situation.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I know all about that. I've bought one T from petco, it was a rosea, but it had an awesome orange color to it. I also accidentally bought a MM avic, but returned it 2 minutes later when I noticed the hooks. I even told the manager it was a MM and he said "Oh, we don't sell them as males or females, we sell them as tarantulas" :wall:
:wall::wall:
REALLY??

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup. But in reptiles rather than arachnids. There was a time years ago when it was pefectly legal to import exotic venomous snakes and sell them in pet shops. I was younger and crazier then and happily took advantage of the situation, buying such things as cobras, puff adders, etc. The problem with this situation was that wholesalers sometimes came up with misidentified snakes and passed them along to local pet shops with incorrect labels. I remember walking into a pet shop in Los Angeles and recognizing a species of rear-fanged snake that had a particularly nasty and sometimes fatal bite - and it was labeled as something completely harmless. (I knew the species well, having captured them in the wild in the tropics and having kept them myself - so I was sure of my identification.) I spoke to one of the employees, and got a reaction similar to the one you described - couldn't care less. I was uncomfortable leaving it like that so I found the manager and explained their mistake. The manager told me bluntly that they trusted their wholesaler and that was that. I wrote the correct species name down and urged them to look it up - but I'm sure they didn't. I was uncomfortable walking away from that, but didn't have much choice. I always wondered what became of the snake and the situation.

Damn that's pretty crazy ... and negligent

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Sheesh Bill! I'm not really surprised, but still......that is dangerous negligence, at least a mislabeled T can't kill you:eek:.....

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Holy-
I really hope someone who actually knew what it really was snapped it up before some one who was ignorant of the danger did.
And I really hope it ended well, and not in tragedy for either the unsuspecting owner or the snake!