Mislabeled Scolopendra?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Last October I bought two Scolopendra subspinipes plings -- one "Hong Kong Giant" and one "Cherry Red." The Hong Kong is showing the adult coloration I'd expect, but the cherry red isn't. Its color looks a little more like what I'd expect from Scolopendra heros. What thoughts do the experts have? Body length is somewhere between 2.5 and 3 inches

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, ive got a juvie malaysian cherry 3" 1 i kept(sold all the other babies) and yes way different, i like the mulitans also,aggressive little stinkers{D

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
did that just molt in that pic?
No, it hasn't molted for at least a week. I just check up on them every so often to check on food and such and noticed the color / size difference sometime last week.

Well, based on this post: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=705247&postcount=1

What you have is not a "Cherry Red" since even as pedlings they don't have that coloration. What it does look exactly like is Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans. Definitely not S. heros though.
I was directed to that post when I first got this 'pede -- oddly enough, when I tried looking up "cherry red," I came to the incorrect conclusion of "chinese redhead." That IS what mutilans is, isn't it? :?

but mutilans are communal
Whee! {D Now I just need to find a few more . . . and know what they are when I buy them this time!

i like the mulitans also,aggressive little stinkers{D
This one seems pretty calm -- my Hong Kong is a maniac, though.

Thanks, all, for the ID help. Much appreciated! :clap:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
but mutilans are communal
shc are too ... well till one eats the rest lol
but seriously i have seen them in at least pairs in the same crack in the same rock . maybe they were about to mate i dont know
im not putting a bunch together to find out lol

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
shc are too ... well till one eats the rest lol
but seriously i have seen them in at least pairs in the same crack in the same rock . maybe they were about to mate i dont know
im not putting a bunch together to find out lol
we've seen polymorpha like that. Warren (wburke17) has a couple few in a cage together and they have been doing alright for like a month so far, i think

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
we've seen polymorpha like that. Warren (wburke17) has a couple few in a cage together and they have been doing alright for like a month so far, i think
i just dont know what the deal is with them, i have seen more than one in the same crevice on many occasions. I hope to have a camera next time so i can get some pix of that. My mom and step dad sold their place on Lake buchannan so i prob wont get to go there anymore. I suppose ill have to find another place on lake buchannan to go .

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It would be great to find a species that can successfully kept communally long term without too much risk of cannibalism... I'm just too paranoid to put them together :p I don't like the idea of finding 1 really fat centipede and a bunch of legs one day :)