mis-identified heterometrus, it is giant

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
back in december i got some heterometrus mistakenely sold to me as P. imperator.

long story short, i originally assumed they were just heterometrus laoticus.

however one of them was very large, VERY large, i just thought it might be a spinifer at first but it's stinger is not cream colored.

it has actually grown after it's last molt, and it is now huge(for a scorp)
it is about 2x the size of my other heterometrus, and much bigger than anyof my 9 emperors.

although i have not measured it yet (i would do it now but it is in it's underground burrow)

judging by the size of my hand when i hold it and the size of my emperors that i have measured i would put it at around 7 inches give or take.

upon inspection it looks the same as the other forest scorps, just larger and a proportionally larger stinger.

is this is different Heterometrus sp. or just a big fatty? it is not very aggressive except when it comes to food, i have seen it eating its own worm/crick in one claw and use it's other to steal food from its tank mates.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
h. swammerdami maybe??? they are supposed to be huge...but very rare in the hobby

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Heterometrus genus can be pretty complicated. We will need more detailed information than what you've given.

A close up of the prosoma, would help the most.

Also, are the chela granulated?

Mike

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
h. swammerdami maybe??? they are supposed to be huge...but very rare in the hobby
Theres little to no chance he would get that accidently.

A picture would help. Pictures are usually hard to get an exact ID from, text will be of absoultly no use.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Theres little to no chance he would get that accidently.

A picture would help. Pictures are usually hard to get an exact ID from, text will be of absoultly no use.
i agree...but sometimes things come in from out of country that arent supposed to right? if thats the case...there is a possibility, but little of it like you said

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i agree...but sometimes things come in from out of country that arent supposed to right? if thats the case...there is a possibility, but little of it like you said
That possibly is 99.9% not gonna happen. Due to the fact that there has been an influx of Malaysian imports recently, I am almost willing to bet its H longimanus.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian, I have to agree. Also, a 7 inch scorpion is that large for a Heterometrus, IMO.

Mike

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, i would say u have a .1% chance u have a h. swammerdami {D {D but yeah pics would reveal all

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my friend has some pics in her camera, will try an get those, it is deffinetly not swammerdami it is the wrong color.

it looks like a huge laoticus

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The way you describe it as looking like a huge H. laoticus reminds me of the one I have that recently molted. Huge size diff, esp. the chela after the molt. It's not 7 inches though. I would say between 5 and 6 inches. I bought it as a H. longimanus. From pics I posted, most on the AB were leaning towards H. spinifer. I sent the old exo to someone on the AB and they are leaning to H. longimanus but as of now, they aren't 100%. Anyway, just for the heck of it, here's a pic of the one I have.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it is laoticus, check the granulation on the prosma. H. laoticus has NO granulation, and is the only Heterometrus sp that doesn't have granulation.

Mike

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Galopheros, I am leaning strongly toward H longimanus on that one

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That'd be nice. H. longimanus is what I was hoping. I was trying to buy a pair. I'm hoping the other is a female H. longimanus. I bought them from the same source and that's what the manager was told they were. The other one looks sexually mature to me but it's noticeably smaller (female).

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My female is smaller than the male as well so maybe thats the norm with this species

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi brian ihave observe this Male bigger then female thingyin speciments of adult male and female chaerilus celebensis. with males some time almost 1 and a half times the female size! not included the long arms/claws.maybe its the opractise if loing clawed scorpions haha

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That'd be nice. H. longimanus is what I was hoping. I was trying to buy a pair. I'm hoping the other is a female H. longimanus. I bought them from the same source and that's what the manager was told they were. The other one looks sexually mature to me but it's noticeably smaller (female).
umm is that the ones we were talking about being mislabled the other day?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The one on the left has been ID'd as H. longimanus by sending off an old exo for ID. I also have H. laoticus. It dwarfs H. laoticus. Both of these in the pic were sold to me as H. longimanus. But the one on the right could very well be H. spinifer. It's a female. I'm starting to think it's not H. longimanus though. Attempted a mating last night but, finally, she walked away from him. I took pics, I may post them later. But it could already be a gravid female, longimanus or not:? . The female sure does have a darker telson compared to the H. longimanus among some other subtle differences so I just don't know what sp the female is at this point.

Well I just got knews that the one on the left is pobably H. spinifer. So maybe they both are H. spinifer like we all were thinking in the first place. Oh well, I know I have these two black scorpions.

Last edited: