Mis-I'd annoyances

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm just curious what you guys do in this situation. You go to your LPS and you see a potentially deadly scorpion possibly mislabeled as a moderately dangerous one. When you question it you get nasty looks and a weak answer. It's possible either of us could be wrong obviously, but my concern was more that they didn't even question why I questioned it. What if they are wrong and it kills someone? If I'm wrong no big deal, but as a seller I would show a bit of concern if something was questioned. I've seen two mislabeled there before, one I purchased because it was a somewhat rare species, the other being a red claw I ignored because it was labeled as an emp. This last one I would need to examine more but if it really was mislabeled it is a dangerous mistake on their part. So, because of their general apathy...how would you guys approach something like that?

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive seen a few pet shops with that same issue
they are just selling them as they are labled when they buy them
and that comes from lazy wholesalers who are not iding what they have
(if its not reptiles it doesnt much matter) i worked for a few of them in the past and that just how it is with alot of them but the exporters don know what they are sending the wholesalers so its kinda hard to make sure that
they all have the id's correct on these kinds of things because to them
the inverts are whats called order fillers.
there just trying to make a buck not realy anything else with inverts
its sad but it is true.

so you get pet shops , wholesalers , jobbers ext with the wrong id's on this stuff some times and it takes someone to take the time to id them and they just dont want too but they should to be safe in all ways.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say give them a good scare. Let them know the consequences of mislabeling a potentially dangerous scorpion, especially the effects on the store.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually bought a group of 3 P transvaalicus a year ago at a LPS in Savannah Ga, while visiting a friend who told me about them having a large unlabeled P trans who birthed a nice brood shortly after it got to the pet shop. I got the scorplings for 10$ for all 3, so it worked out for me but I wonder about the others that were sold including the mother? My friend was the one who Id'd the mother I believe, to the guy who runs the place. That is just 1 example of carelessness I have seen with some hotter species, but its like Telow said, they get them from breeders, people or importers who simply mark a common name on the container and they(LPS) have no idea or concern for what it actually may be. How many Black thick tail or fat tail scorpions can you think of? More than a few that would fit that wonderfully obtuse description! And there is no age or experience discrimination when it comes to most inverts, and eventually that is gonna bite this hobby in the A$$. Its just a matter of time.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You guys do make some good points, it does boil down to misidentification or lack of identification from the point of origin. Not to mention I'm sure common names for some species vary from region to region. But then again two wrongs don't make a right. Petshop owners and animal dealers have an unspoken sence of responsibility to their clients (Ie, us) to properly label any and all animals sold. How mad would someone be if thy bought a full bred pomeranian and they find out it's a long haired chihuahua mutt? Or along the same lines of exotics, a coral snake when it should be a king snake. It seems rediculous to me that simply because they are invertibrates that their proper identification comes secondary.

I respect dealers that carry a huge range of animals and still take the time to properly identify and care for each one until it is sold on the open market. You would think that because his hobby has increased many times over in the past twenty years that these issues would have already been dealt with.

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
most of them dont care or think they could figure out what they have
so they just dont do it and mark it as they got it which is bad
but it happens its just ignorance